.45 vs. .50 cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I am planning on having a new rifle built and I am trying to decide between .45 and .50 cal. I currently have a Savage MLII .50 cal, but I want to add a 2nd rifle to my stable. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. The guns will be used for both target and hunting. Also, if anyone can explain the concept of sabotless shooting it would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time!

It seems that .50 is where it's at. There are a lot more products and components available as well as some states for certain species mandate a .50 as minimum.

I'd go with the .50 all the way.

Some of the shooters that shoot alot are going to the .45's. SW, RBin AR , dave d, and edge I believe are trying the smaller caliber(s).
Some have tried sabotless shooting, if you can get the perfect size bullet that will just slip down the muzzle without a sabot the idea is that upon ignition the bullet "expands" just enough at the base that a good seal is made and speed and accuracy can be made. The bore and barrel must be such that they work together, that is the trick or goal. SW has a RB .40 caliber barrel/bullet combo that he hopes to test soon I understand.
We all await the results.
I do not want to speak for any of the above, they are well versed and experienced shooters but I believe that is the general idea of the process.
That being said I believe there are enough 50's around that it will remain the king of the hill at least in the immediate future. I personally want to try one of the sub calibers if such combo can be made to work well.

If you are going to hunt with it..you probably better check your game laws before moving on...

I, too, think the 50 will be king of the hill for the majority for a long time. It works, works well, and has a tremendous # of sabots/bullets,etc for it as well as a few states mandating it.
Regardless, IMO, the 45 has everything else going for it. Less recoil, adequate killing power, at least equal accuracy, enough very good bullets - how many do you need!?, and the ability to shoot saboted 40 and 357 cal bullets and bore sized 45 cal bullets. You just don't get better bullets than the Parkers and they shoot extremely accurately sabotless w/o any of the sabot drawbacks. So the 45 will do anything the 50 will do with up thru 300g bullets and can shoot the aerodynamically superior 40 and 357 cal bullets. It just doesn't matter if one cal has 50 different bullets for it if the other(45) has enough great choices for an excellent load. If a 250, or 275 45 cal Parker BE, or a 250,275,or 300 Parker HC 45(also bore sized) - also sold as Remington and T-shocks respectively - all 5 bullets bore sized and great bullets, and 200SST, various DCs that will shoot well to at least 2300'/sec, 175 and 195 Barnes, and 235 Hawks, if all these aren't enough, and all are great bullets, then something is wrong. It just takes 1 good load. My problem is that of the 8 of these I've shot, all are so good that I have problems deciding which to use.
I know of no one who has tried a 45 going back to a 50. All 3 of my ML-2s are converted. The only 50 cal I shoot is the one I maintain/store for a fellow hunter who doesn't know how to clean nor care for his ML-2. I just give it to him loaded and slightly fouled at beginning of season and take care of it after the season. Just my thoughts on 45 vs 50.

You said "built"; in that case, as you're spending the money for a custom job anyways, I'd go .45. You already have a good .50, right? Might as well have a taste of the grass on the other side of the fence.

FWF said:
You said "built"; in that case, as you're spending the money for a custom job anyways, I'd go .45. You already have a good .50, right? Might as well have a taste of the grass on the other side of the fence.

I agree with this quote. If you are purchasing a muzzleloader for hunting purposes only and you will be shooting within 200 yards then I would go with the 50 cal. But if you are choosing a rifle to fine tune to 300 yard accuracy then the smaller calibers would shine in my opinion. Some are shooting without a sabot in 45 cal to a great degree of accuracy and that is very appealing. You really haven't given us enough information about what you want and why to get a more detailed response. Hope this helps. Doug

Back