NULA or ProHunter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I am in the market for a new gun. I was set on the pro hunter but now the nula has got me thinking. I am looking for a light gun first then accurate second. That is why I ruled out the savage. Does anyone know the weight of the pro hunter with just the black stock and stainless barrel? I have not seen it on there web site. Also is the nula worth the extra money, $1200 is what there asking for it. Thanks for any advice.

I own both the Nula and the Prohunter. The new Prohunter is heavier then my old Encore. The Nula is by far your best choice over any Muzzleloader i know of. It's not really fair to even compare it to an Encore or a Savage. The Nula is a custom gun. The Nula is the last ML you will ever need.

1640, I belive the NULA is $1100. Also, you are comparing a smokeless muzzleloader to a smokepole. Is that what you meant or were you going to get a pro hunter and put a smi or some other smokeless barrel on it?

If that is the case then get the NULA because it will be less $$$ (unless you buy just the frame). If not get a NULA anyway because it not much more $$$. You will pay over $725 for a pro hunter so in the long run why not just bite the bullet (no pun intended) and get the NULA.

Thats what I was looking at. I have done that so much in the past with not buying the better of two products then coming back around and spending more money to get it. I was looking at the pro hunter because from the reviews it seemed to be a good muzzle loader, going smokeless seems to be iceing on the cake from what you guys are saying about it.
Is the blued barrel anything to worry about if I do use much non-smokeless powder?

1640 I own the savage, smi encore,and the nula. In my opinion the only option that meets your criterion is the nula. The savage breech system leaves alot to be desired ...multipieced and constant maintenance. The tupperware stock is also a nightmare. The smi encore is a wonderfully accurate muzzleloader but the ss encore frame will need a trigger job,oversized hinge pin(to tighten up barrel-frame fit) and k-kote to elininate rusting problems associated with investment cast stainless steel. Ron Name of smi is a super person to work with if you want to go the encore route. The nula is in a class of its own. It's extremely lightweight ...approximately 5 lb 12 oz. and that includes a lightweight 3x9 scope. As with all of melvin's rifles it will easily shoot sub m.o.a. on a consistent basis. It is a dream to shoot offhand since the gun balences on the front stock screw.(this is a trait of all nula rifles) Also included is a set of talley mounts. In otherwords, if you purchase the nula, it will be the last muzzleloader you have to buy........unless you need a nula 45 and a nula 50.

Another vote for the NULA here... spectacular guns. Everything a custom gun should be.

I wouldn't buy a Prohunter just on principle - T/C is reaming buyers so badly with that price................

NULA

Does anyone have contact info for NULA Rifles? I've tried under all kinda name variations and can't find a website...

Thanks a bunch, Ridge

Thanks VENISONEATR, The NULA no smokes look to be awesome, and I can't seem to find anyone saying anything less about them.
Can any of you guys that own NULAs post pictures of their breech plug from both ends. I'm very curious if they seat the 209 differently than the 10ml-ll

Thanks a bunch, Ridge

Ridgeviewer said:
Thanks VENISONEATR, The NULA no smokes look to be awesome, and I can't seem to find anyone saying anything less about them.
Can any of you guys that own NULAs post pictures of their breech plug from both ends. I'm very curious if they seat the 209 differently than the 10ml-ll

Thanks a bunch, Ridge

Here you go Ridge...
http://modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB/vie ... reech+plug

Doohan said:
Another vote for the NULA here... spectacular guns. Everything a custom gun should be.

Agreed, Mine is the best modern firearm I own. :yeah: :yeah:

Here IS the NULA warranty as written:

Our commitment to quality is simple: if you are not completely satisfied with your New Ultra Light Arms rifle, you may return it for a full refund within 30 days.

In talking with Melvin today...he said that after building 7000 rifles in 22 years, warranty service had never been an issue. If something goes wrong under normal use, he fixes it. Of course if you HAVE a problem..you talk to the owner/ceo/cfo himself!

Also....just a FYI..he is running at LEAST 6 months behind right now.

I own a first run Encore and love it, but I would recommend the NULA over it to anyone who asked.

I just put my money down on a nula. Now I have 6 months to sell the prohunter I bought.

1640 said:
I just put my money down on a nula. Now I have 6 months to sell the prohunter I bought.

That will be the best thing you EVER did!

If you buy a smokeless muzzleloader and the regulations in your state change, are you still able to use traditional propellants through these rifles? If you are able to, do these rifles still have advantages over the non smokeless inlines?

cerec_cat said:
If you buy a smokeless muzzleloader and the regulations in your state change, are you still able to use traditional propellants through these rifles? If you are able to, do these rifles still have advantages over the non smokeless inlines?
Absolutely. I'm not sure how T-7 FFF compares but for years, individuals who really wanted to see the accuracy and velocity limits of their MLers used hefty loads of Pyrodex P. Velocity continues to increase linearly as vol of powder goes up. :D Maybe a good duplex load of Pyrodex P under Pyrodex RS would work well. Actually, if I were going to shoot 300g bullets, I would work with this in a smokeless designed MLer.

Back