348gr powerbelts in a .50 knight wolverine.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trigger8mm

Reaction score
just wondering if any body got a group smaller than 1.5 inches with the 348gr .50 powerbelts with 120 gr pryrodex and cci 209 primers? oh yeah 100 yard groups.

That load is a bit more potent than what most of us find works well with PB's.
E=mail Frontier Gander he can give you all the info on PB's. Lee

:D :D :D

My CVA ACCURA works best for me with 295gr H/P PB's. I also use Remington KLEANBORE 209 primers along with 100 grs. APP GOLD. Haven't shot out to 100 yards yet but at 50 yards you can shoot a tick off a hound dogs a$$ :!: :!: :!: :!:

WELCOME TO THE CAMP FIRE :!: :!: GREAT PLACE TO HANG OUT :!: :!: :!:

shooting

Forgive me for putting words into Lee 9's mouth as he is way more knowledgable(SP?) smarter than me. I beleive he is referring to perforemance on the game by the bullet itself, not the downranrange target shooting. I think I have read where slowing the PB's down (80-90 grain) get's better terminal performance on game than jacking up the speed rate. I am sure FG will be along to fix you up!

I never could get as tight of groups over 90 gr with the 348's as I could under 90 gr of powder. Almost all of the deer I have shot (six, I think) with the 348's were with 80-90 gr of pryo RS.

Bucker
That is correct, also at long range [over 125 yds the heavy loads[above110] seem to spread the group for me, this may not be true with all guns. Lee

As the others have said - drop the powder charge down some.........I'd say 100gr of Pyro would be as high as I would go, but the 80 to 90gr loads suggested here are probably more in the ballpark.
Also, lube the posts that hold the cup onto the bullet before you shoot it - if those don't drop off quickly after they leave the muzzle, accuracy will be affected.

i'd cut it back down to around 90-100 grains. 120 would be fine if you knew you'd have a long 120+ yard shot, but with a closer 25-50ish yard shot, i dont think the bullet would survive a shoulder shot.

Heres a wet news paper test i did recently with the 348gr HP.
http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... 35&start=0

Heres a 348gr Aerotip with 100gr pyrodex rs @ 100 yards. Circled is the Aerotip starting to push through the bullet. I feel that this is one of the powerbelts biggest problems and why the bullets will come apart easily with bone shots.
348-WWvsAT005.jpg

Surprisingly, i feel that the regular Hollow Point is better with a stronger charge.

Back