Load trajectory

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rick243

Reaction score
I recently mounted a Nikon Omega scope with BDC on my Encore. My load is a .452, 250gr. XTP in Harvester sabot, with 110gr BH 209.

I sighted the scope dead on at 100yds, then moved the target back to 200 yds. I shot a real nice 3 shot group that hit 16" low at 200yds. I had to turn the scope power ring down to slightly less than 5 power in order for the BDC circles to work. :shock:

I just wanted to share that with ya'll. I didn't think my load trajectory would be that much different than the load used by Nikon to design the scope.

Wow, I am very suprised that it would even be 16" low at 200 yards with the center crosshair. I was thinking if sighted in at 100, you would only be 13-14 inches low using the same aiming point out to 200...did you have a strong headwind?

Those numbers might be right. I ran that load by guessing a lot of the elements.. and got -14+ low at 200 yards. Why adjusting the power magnification, I am not sure should have done anything. I shoot a Nikon Omega, but have no BDC.

Trajectory

What is your barrel length? The Omega scope is based on a 28" barrel.

Here is a suggestion. Sight your rifle in 2" high at 100yds at 9 power. Then try shooting a group at 200 yadrs at 9 power and see where it hits. Also up your charge to 120gr BH209 and that will equal 150grs of t7 which is also what the scope is based on.

Repeat sighting in at 100 yards raising your POI by 1" each time at 9 power until you finally hit where you want at 200yds.

This worked for me and I am shooting 2 1/2" high at 100 yards and dead on at 200 yards.

Takes range time to do this but if you want the value from your scope without a lot of guesswork it has to be done.

Have fun and be safe out there.

cayuga said:
Those numbers might be right. I ran that load by guessing a lot of the elements.. and got -14+ low at 200 yards. Why adjusting the power magnification, I am not sure should have done anything. I shoot a Nikon Omega, but have no BDC.

Dave
Nikon suggests when shooting a load other than the one they suggest. You shoot your gun dead on at 100yds. Take a tall target and place it out at 200 yds and use your 100yd mark and shoot. It will shot low, then while holding gun steady still aimed at the target adjust the power until your 200yd circle is around the hole you just shot. Mark where your power is set. Now you are dead on at 100 yd and you know excatly where you power should be when using a 200yd shot. Ive heard of alot people returning there scopes because they were unaware of that if you adjust power it moves all your aim points below the crosshairs and they asssumed it was something wrong with the scope. Once sighted in the crosshairs will always be correct under power adjustments, but the circles will not if you adjust power settings.

Its the same concept as the Leupold Ultimate slam, except they took it a step farther and figured out different loads and just marked in on the scope in place of the power, you can do the same thing with the Nikon omega with a little shooting........

At least you know that your 16 inches and know what you have to do to get the desired point of impact. XTP's have the ballistics of an ashtray, and will shed energy more quickly than pointed projectiles. If you are getting great groups with XTP's, stick with them. I am dropping 20 inches with a 300 gr XTP ahead of 90 gr T7 FFG.

You have to remember that when you have the opportunity to smack a critter @ 160+, chances are it is not spooked, (it probably doesn't even know you are there) , and you have time to bring out the laser and make the appropriate corrections.

Re: Trajectory

rogo said:
What is your barrel length? The Omega scope is based on a 28" barrel. Have fun and be safe out there.

I have a standard Encore barrel.

I guess this shows the importance of actually shooting at longer ranges rather than ass-uming the scope mfgr' produced a scope just for you. I never hunt with a scope on 9x anyway. I'll leave it at 4.75X and be happy with it. BTW, it does appear to be a quality scope. I like the long eye relief. Thanks to all for the replies.

I just shot my new Omega in 1-1/2" high at 100 yards with 100gr BH209 and TC 250gr Shockwaves. At 200 yards it printed 12" low, so aiming at the spine at 200 yards should still have it in the vitals of a decent sized whitetail.

240 XTPs shot to the same POI at 100 yards as the 250gr Shockwaves.

Latest posts

Back