Not your every day inline

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chief55

Reaction score
I thought some of you might get a kick out of this. It is the prototype of a 12ga Javalina shot pistol made by Doc White. Doc made Javalina 50cal pistols for awhile that were very popular with their owners. This is the one and only 12ga. It was never put in production. Doc told me that he shot a turkey with it before I bought it from him. It is a total hoot, I love it. It has a 16 inch barrel and is very light. It is kind of a cross between a Javalina pistol and a tominator shotgun. I normally use 90 grains of 777. As you can see it takes different choke tubes and I shoot regular shot, buckshot, and a 1 ounce AQ slug with it. I need to put an adjustable sight on it for the slugs cause they shoot a bit to the left. This is a real game getter and one of the funnest guns I have owned. :lol: It's a two hander for sure. Used to have a tominator also, it was awesome but gave that to my brother inlaw a couple of years back. That was a really fun shotgun and nice and light. Well anyway I have had this for a few years and not to meny peaple have seen it, thought you all might like it.
Pistols008-1.jpg

Chief55,

Very cool little hand cannon there. Just one of the many oddities that Doc has put together over the years. The Javelina actually never made it past production. There really aren't that many out there, but I know of a few in .410, .451, and .504 caliber.

I have owned a G-Series Whitetail in .504 cal for 16 years. I also own a M-98 Elite hunter in .451 cal, and a White Thunder 12 ga w/Mossy Oak Break-Up camo stock.

Do you know if Doc had Hastings make that barrel up special? The vent rib looks custom, and not just a cut-off barrel. Does it also use the Hastings Choke II tubes? Looks like they may be Win-Choke?

Thanks for posting that. I think I have either seen that or read about it on Doc's site, once upon a time?

White's are very addictive, you can't have just one! :wink:

That is really a nice piece. I bet it really is a two hander with 90 grains of 777!
Art

WOW!!! that would be a handful... literally. I bet with 90 grains that thing roars. Thanks for posting that. I like seeing them custom black powder hand cannons..

So your the guy that beat me to that one :D You have a nice piece of Doc's there. I have a pistol that would have been the Bobcat from Doc another design that didnt make production. Thanks for posting the pics.
Did it come with the shooting strap like the Javalina's?

That's the most unique gun I've seen in a long time.

Thank you all. It came as it is pictured with the modified tube installed. The long choke is actually a open ported choke I bought from colonial arms for shooting the slugs. They are thin wall chokes, .774x44 double lead thread. It looks and has the light feel of a tominator barrel but it is a 16 inch barrel. I think it is a hastings barrel cause it has the same straight rifling a tominator has but there are no markings on it so I can not say for shure. With the slugs it makes a very sharp crack sound like a well tuned rifle. I carry it with the hand strap or with a sling. I have a lot of fun with it. The way you shoot it with two hand makes it not bad to control.

cayuga This Kahnke is the real handful. :lol: There is a fellow with one just like it that is getting 1400 FPS with a 300 grain bullet. He is shooting 70 grains of 777. I put a magspark on mine and shoot 90 grains of blackhorn 209 from it. Just got a crony so I could check my balistics with it but want to order some more bullets before I take it back out.
Pistols006-1.jpg

Reason I ask about the barrel length is ATF considers a shotgun under 18" a "sawed off shotgun" that requires registration. Not sure that applies to a muzzleloading shotgun, but you might want to check to be safe.

Thank you for your concern toytruck. Muzzleloaders are not yet subject to those rules and the barrels can be of any length legally. Meny of the side lock pistols are smooth bore. The 20 ga howdas are becoming quit popular now days. Cabelas is selling them now.

Chief55 said:
Thank you for your concern toytruck. Muzzleloaders are not yet subject to those rules and the barrels can be of any length legally. Meny of the side lock pistols are smooth bore. The 20 ga howdas are becoming quit popular now days. Cabelas is selling them now.

OK, good, just my LEO roots coming out. 8)

Back