bullet seating pressure?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyboy

Reaction score
After you get your bullet/sabot down to the powder, how much additional pressure do you guys use? Just barely seat the bullet against the powder? Or, do you lean on the ramrod to compress the load?

When using loose powder I put a drilled golf ball over the end of the ramrod and really lean on it. Some powders like APP, JSG and Pinnacle shoot better with a tight sabot that is seated hard on the powder.

When using Pyrodex or 777 pellets do not crush the pellets.

billyboy.. welcome to the forum.

The easy way to answer this question is.. what powder? Some powders like a very firm seating pressure, others not so firm. What I do is basically try and move the bullet down the barrel in a smooth motion and seat it firmly on the powder charge. This does not mean I have to pound the thing down on the powder, and I would not recommend it. But firmly seat the bullet and try the rifle. The main thing is try and be consistent with the pressure you use to seat the bullet.

Using 777ffg powder. It seems if I seat it firmly I end up with lots of crazy fliers. If I seat just down to the powder and then give it just a little tap the results are a little better. POI is way different depending on the pressure I use.

When I shoot 777 powder I like my seating pressure to be firm but not excessive. Also I like a moderate to tight fitting sabot. Then I seem to get very good accuracy.

consistency

I have found that consistency of seating pressure is as important as the amount of pressure.T7 , in my experience, needs decent pressure for best accuracy Black powder doesnt seem to need much pressure and is far less sensative to variations than any other powders I've tried.

I have found that all powders are more consistent for me when firmly seated, [this does not mean crushing the granules] if you put a stop on your range rod and adjust it with the first load when the gun is clean and use a separate rod for swabbing; well it works for me. Lee

Lee is being very modest here!!
As I remember, he has won MANY prestigious awards for Patch and Ball shoots, and long range shooting :D 8)
And I will side with his experience and wisdom in this regard.

An adjustable stop on your ram rod Does add tremendously to exact repeatability from shot to shot :wink: I am now a FIRM believer in this method for the best range results. And of course for hunting -second follow up shots at nominal ranges....not so important 8)

billyboy:
You have not said what rifle, I'm useing a CVAKodiak Pro, 2f t7 I use my short starter on rr and put a lot of weight on it if i do my part I'm geting 3/4 in groups at 100 yrds

Actually I don't think it makes much difference what rifle you shoot when it comes to wad pressure. Most of the subs require at least firm pressure for the best ignition and accuracy. There is an other thing that enters into it to When you change the position of the bullet in the barrel it affects the whip of the barrel if the barrel is not in the same position when the bullet exits it can change the POI. Lee

I'm shooting an Encore and after a trip to the range, I have marked my ramrod at a point where the load is fairly well compressed without actually leaning on it with body weight. Shot several 1.5" groups. Works like a charm, thanks guys!

Back