KP1 Range Report

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spitpatch

Reaction score
When I came back to Kalona, after being in Centerville at the Knight Rifle auction, I was full of anticipation and couldn't wait to shoot the KP1 I had purchased for myself.
My Brother-in-law Rod also picked one up that same day and he wanted to break em in.

With little regard for the FPJ and it's associated breech plug, we decided to proceed equipped with a bare Federal 209A.

After a good cleaning, a Swift Premier 3-9x40 was secured to the one piece Tallys using my trusty scope torque wrench.

I then bore sighted by peeking through the .032 hole in the breech plug.

After snapping a bare 209, I loaded up.

Mike at Centerville had told me to use BH209 with a tight sabot and the supplied domed plug....and pack it tight.

This I did, using 120 grains and Mikes fave....the Barnes Spitfire. He likes the 250. I had none, so the 245 was the only ticket in the house.

Behind that was a Fed 209A.

Bang!!! On paper...12" low...What FUN!!! This gun knows how to soak up recoil!! I absolutely love that Kick Ease recoil pad!

50 clicks and I was right next to the bull.

Cool barrel by waiting 15 minutes, spit patch,(I do that because I'm anal) :oops:
After 30 minutes 3 shots into .370" I couldn't beleive it!!!

SANY0986.jpg

Believe it or not, THAT is a 3 shot group!

Now, the light waning, I decided to load and shoot as fast as I could, without concentrating on form etc., on a HOT,HOT, barrel until I ran out of BH209. I got a total of 7 rounds off into a 1.80" group.
SANY0993.jpg

I am a HAPPY CAMPER!!!
I had no idea these shot sooooo welllll!

It turns out, both guns need the upgraded trigger assembly as they are hard to open once fired.
Gordy from Knight is sending one for each gun.

No pics of the rifle yet as I am waiting on the laminate stock.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

As usual.....

spit

WOW that is some great shooting there Spit. If I had one that shot that good, I could care less what kind of stock it had. That three shot group must have made you smile for hours afterward. I have one of them on my wall I shot with Barnes 250 grain. I just enjoy looking at that hole and knowing I did it.

Nice shooting...

Now the KP1 is the rifle you can change over barrels and such.. right?

Yes Dave, you can change the barrels to any number of centerfire calibers, and you can even change to 17HMR rimfire. The firing pin can be changed to rimfire with the twist of a screwdriver.

The Red primer discs really do not work well, Knight recommends you just pitch em. I would like to see for myself, however, it would be no loss to me.
I hate having to buy em.

I will say this...the nonadjustable trigger is one of the finest I think I have ever felt. Just look at that group! I for one can not do that without the help of a good trigger.

Oh yeah, I smiled alright! :D

Congrats SPIT, that is some good shooting!!!!! kinda like getting a robin-hood with your bow and arrow.

Spit: I'm beginning to get the impression you might be happy with your purchase. :)

Thanks for posting... looking forward to more reports.

How was blowback into the action with BH209.

Let's see your KP1. I wouldn't mess with that stock. :wink:

Hellacious shootin'! :D

UC... the blowback was not great, but there was some...
I will NOT be using the plastic jackets.

As you know, the breech plug has a small sliver of a magnet inside the plug.
It is part of the sealing edge that the primer sets against. I think that's where it leaks. I will try an O ring. Might effect the magnet but...

What cha think?

I tried an o-ring in mine... not enough room so the action wouldn't close. Maybe if you had a reeeeel thin o-ring. :)

Knight had to change that plug design (from their original) as those magnets kept shattering. I believe what you see now is actually a steel washer that is press-fit over the magnet. If not, you'll soon need another breech plug.

Spitpatch who did u talk with ordering the wood stock? I have called up there twice trying to order one. They 1st told me they would sell me one then called back and said they couldn't that it had to be fitted to the receiver I would have to send the gun in so they could fit it? On the trigger the new trigger assembly doesn't have the safety and mine is a lot heavier trigger than the original but its still only 4.75lbs.

Boy that is great to here i have anew KP1 with the lamitate stock new in the box. Cant wait to get to the range now. I also have a 20GA rifled barrel for that gun. I would like to pick up a 223. Are barrels still gonna be avalible from knight ?

Underclocked said:
I tried an o-ring in mine... not enough room so the action wouldn't close. Maybe if you had a reeeeel thin o-ring. :)

Knight had to change that plug design (from their original) as those magnets kept shattering. I believe what you see now is actually a steel washer that is press-fit over the magnet. If not, you'll soon need another breech plug.

Then I might need another plug... soon, Rich
No washer over this one. Definitely a quarter to 1/3 of the inside circumference was magnet.

I used a sanding sponge to keep the tiny O ring from slipping and cut the 1/4 OD x 1/16 thick O ring in half....like a bagel.

Closed right up and felt like it sealed good. Can't wait to try it.
Tip: Use a razor blade.
If this works i just need to find a supply of 1/4" od x 1/8" id x 1/32 o-rings.
You have the newer breach plug how is the BB on it?

smitty said:
Boy that is great to here i have anew KP1 with the lamitate stock new in the box. Cant wait to get to the range now. I also have a 20GA rifled barrel for that gun. I would like to pick up a 223. Are barrels still gonna be avalible from knight ?

As far as I know they will be....think of it.... they need to keep a butt load around for warranty use. Surely you would be able to by a new one.

When I asked about accuracy of the centerfires, I was told to stick with the heavier bullets and when reloading use charges close to factory and you will be fine.
Just don't use light bullets and try to hot dog it....you might be dissatisfied with the groups.
This is what I was told just yesterday by Centerville.

Hope you get a 243 and I bet the 20 ga. is awesome!

Re: kp1

wayles said:
Nice , real nice!
Wayles

Wayne...you would love this gun ....good for an anal group man such as yourself. :roll: :wink:

Who knows you might....nauh you'd never sell the 45's :lol:

Good shooting Spit! 8) You are going to have problems deciding what to hunt with this fall! 8)

The blowback with the new plug is the same (I have a couple). I don't think they changed the depth of the primer pocket or the external dimensions.

The other thing you might try (if the thin o-ring doesn't work) is backing the plug out 1/2 revolution. There is plenty of thread engagement so that wouldn't be an issue.

Spit,

The Winchester W209 is the longest primer and will give you an average of .005"+ longer length over the CCI, Fed, Rem, Fiocchi. Give the Win W209 a try, it might be just enough to take up the slack.

I have been doing a little testing with o-ring modified plugs on some of my Knights as well with great results. I have discovered that there might be a better option, thinking outside the box, instead of using the standard round o-ring, I am going to try some square and quad cross-sectioned o-rings. I still haven't got around to trying these yet, but will try to get them ordered soon. There is just so many different types and materials, I can't make up my mind.

You might be able to find exactly what you are looking for at MC. You could probably get a 1/4" OD x 3/16" ID x 1/32" thick. I'll see what I can find for you. Also check out the square and quad o-rings below.

Here are cross sectioned pics of the square and quad o-ring.

square_oring_black.gif

http://www.mcmaster.com/#4061t111/=1ozoms

oringa_doubleseal.gif

http://www.mcmaster.com/#90025k123/=1ozrnb

Back