Another Expensive shooter. grrrrr

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontier gander

Reaction score
Just found out this HOT morning that i have a new expensive shooter. I had just taken 3 shots @ 100 yards with patched round balls and i wasnt to impressed. I planned on shooting my beloved powerbelts just to see how they'd do. :evil: I regret shooting them in that Plainsman Flintlock.

Plainsman348grPowerbelt003.jpg

Plainsman348grPowerbelt004.jpg

And yes, i did run back and forth between each shot to mark it. This thing just amazed the hell out of me. I'll measure the holes later from outside to outside and see what it i come up with.

Disgusting! :lol:

Almost forgot my load info:
70gr 3F Goex, 348gr Aerotip Powerbelt ( Yes, it hurt like a son of a gun) 4f Goex in the pan. Instant Ignition!

I DID plan on making this rifle strictly round ball but after shooting this today, i figured what the hell, I have my Kentucky thats limited to round balls only. This one gets fed the expensive candy coated lead!

I'd keep playing with those roundballs. Every 1/48 I've ever owned shot RBs well. Maybe try some different charges and patches.

Oh i plan on it. Round balls shoot the same POI as the powerbelts so thats a real good thing.

1- 1/4" outside to outside. Tomorrow i may try some 405's and see how that does. I also have some remington conicals in 385gr + 250 & 300gr sabertooth conicals.

FG: It seems a "given" that ya have entirely too much time on your hands! :D (Yes I'm envious!)

:eek: I think ya NEED a 50 cal pistol... something like that "Trapper Pistol" at Cabela's... just a simple ole' pistol... :shock: maybe TWO of 'em for a matched set! >>>>>> :p :p lots of round balls, patches, and a bit of powder. :wink: :wink:

:idea: Just think... you can learn how to shoot over your shoulder, between your legs, etc... versatility! :lol:

Ok... I'll go away.... 8)

NorCalSkinner said:
FG: It seems a "given" that ya have entirely too much time on your hands! :D (Yes I'm envious!)

:eek: I think ya NEED a 50 cal pistol... something like that "Trapper Pistol" at Cabela's... just a simple ole' pistol... :shock: maybe TWO of 'em for a matched set! >>>>>> :p :p lots of round balls, patches, and a bit of powder. :wink: :wink:

:idea: Just think... you can learn how to shoot over your shoulder, between your legs, etc... versatility! :lol:

Ok... I'll go away.... 8)

you may be onto something....FG trick shooter blackpowder style :lol: :lol: :lol:

theres a guy on a couple forums trying to sell his. Im not really a bp pistol shooter. I do need one for rendezvous but that can wait. A .50cal kentucky flinter will match my rifle nicely.

Hopefully tomorrow i can shoot those 405'ers and see how they do. Im putting on a rubber butt pad before i do so :wink: Im a little sore from those 348's as it is.

FG: I just had to tease ya! But back to the real world: I understand.

I used to be able to take the pounding of my 300 Win Mag all day back in my youthful days growing up in Alaska. I was shooting a minimum of 180 grain bullets with a full load of 4895 shoving 'em. But today, I call it quits after a single box of 20 of 150's and low powder loads! Somehow it no longer matters...

I'm currently taking my CVA Accura to the range with 80gr of T7 with 250 grain yellow Shockwaves. Easy, and lots of fun. The modern rifles have not seen the range this year!

Enjoy the journey FG! Have fun tomorrow!!

As long as its not another 95* day tomorrow, i'll enjoy :lol: If it is that hot again, im staying in with a good book i just started.

Well it was only 96* today so i waited until 6:30 when the sun went behind the mountain and went shooting. Spent 20 minutes searching the trail because my slip on limbsaver fell off. Turns out it had fallen off while i was swabbing the bore free of oil in my room :oops:

The 405's with 70gr 3f kick like a mule. I was seriously eye balling the 444's but im glad i did not shoot them or else one shot would have been all i needed before calling it quits. The bullets shot quite well but 8" low @ 100 yards. I prefer the 175gr round balls and the 348's as they shoot the same POI and recoil is a lot more comfortable.

I actually shot, shot #4 as i thought my eyes were playing tricks on me.
Plainsman405grPowerbelt001.jpg

With an oil free bore, shot #1 dropped badly.
Plainsman405grPowerbelt002.jpg

Call it 1" outside to outside? I can measure tomorrow.
Plainsman405grPowerbelt004.jpg

I wish my eyes were 20 something again!
Great shooting.
I'm trying to figure out which pair of cheaters to wear this year given I'll be shooting open sights on a hunting trip for first time since 1977! I don't wear glasses when scope hunting with a centerfire rifle but front sight is too fuzzy now with naked eye.
Discovered that I had gotten a tad too sloppy technique-wise when I switched to open sights for this year's ML season after all the years using a scope. CO does not permit use of scope.

Have viewed two WW II marksmanship videos several times to re acquaint myself with proper fundamentals that I once practiced religiously.

Back