Ohio Turkeys

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbarnettoc14

Reaction score
Anyone hunted ohio for turkeys this season? I have been out 6 times and had 20+ gobblers(total) goin but they keep gettin hung up no matter where I set up! Just curious to see if anyone else has been having as much trouble as I have and possibly any tips. I will prolly go out 2 more times.

When they hang up stop calling.

They often do that because they expect the hen to come to them. If you keep calling then they suspect something is wrong.

As much as it hurts.......stop calling!

If that is not the problem it could be your decoy setup. Change it up of don't use them if they are decoy shy. Also, decoys have to match your calling. If you're cutting hard and you have a nesting hen decoy it doesn't add up.

Another tip is that soft calling can work great and many turkey hunters don't do it.

Tell me more about your set up. Woods, fields, do you use decoys, etc.

Johnny

I'm fairly new to turkey hunting... I have the slate call down pretty decent according to the seasoned turkey vet I hunt with, I also use a raspy old hen mouth call and can only do a short series of pit, put and light yelps. My decoy set up consits of a feeding/ upright hen depending on how I put her up and also an upright jake. My "ace in the hole" spot is a field surrounded by a fence row with a small finger of woods that runs through the middle and a large woods across from the finger that they roost in, on a ridge. I set up just inside the finger with my decoys set up 25-30 yds in front of me. I get in the woods between 430-500 am. I dont start calling until i hear the gobblers first then when the hens start clucking and yelping I attempt to mimic them. One thing I have notced is that the woods that I expect them to come out of, the tree line is very very thick with thorns, honey suckle, and an assortment of vines etc. I dunno if it is too thick for them to come through or what? It seems like they will come close to the "thick" part but never through it. Any tips... i think I'm going to add a shake gobbler to my range of calls... I would set up in that woods also but I am afraid of bumping them off the roost in the morning because they roost in multiple trees in the woods, and I never know which one. Any advice would be grand! Thanks for the help!

Back