English Game Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hilljack1

Reaction score
This is a 54 cal English rifle I built for a friend.....the wood is Bastogne Walnut.....This rifle took almost a year to build.....It has two barrels (54 cal and 45 cal) they are custom from Oregon Barrel works....Octagon to round 35" long....It has a straight trigger with a 2 pound pull....Furniture and barrels were blacked.....Poured pewter nose cap.... Has dual locks incase of a failure.....Weighs in at almost 9 lbs. 0210191234a.jpg0210191241.jpg0210191240.jpg0210191240b.jpg

is the name of the wood the same as / or known as FRENCH WALNUT? as I have never heard of that kind of wood? if so I guess that I have to get out of the woods more often, PUN INTENDED!!. it is a great looking piece!!

This is a 54 cal English rifle I built for a friend.....the wood is Bastogne Walnut.....This rifle took almost a year to build.....It has two barrels (54 cal and 45 cal) they are custom from Oregon Barrel works....Octagon to round 35" long....It has a straight trigger with a 2 pound pull....Furniture and barrels were blacked.....Poured pewter nose cap.... Has dual locks incase of a failure.....Weighs in at almost 9 lbs. View attachment 3696View attachment 3697View attachment 3699View attachment 3698
Gorgeous! What is the price of such a rifle, out of curiosity??

no one going to answer my question on the difference between BELGIUM WALNUT & FRENCH WALNUT? as HERCULE PEROIT, SAYS I AM NOT FRENCH, I AM BELGIUM. some body anybody? someone must have seen my querrie / question that I asked? OH WELL, thank's for the help.

no one going to answer my question on the difference between BELGIUM WALNUT & FRENCH WALNUT? as HERCULE PEROIT, SAYS I AM NOT FRENCH, I AM BELGIUM. some body anybody? someone must have seen my querrie / question that I asked? OH WELL, thank's for the help.
This is the best I could do for you Toot.
From what I read, since Belgium is part of Europe, there is no difference.
I provided the website below.
Here is part of what it said;
French Walnut is the name under which most European Walnut is marketed. Other European Walnut is sold as Italian Walnut, Persian Walnut, German Walnut etc. The species is Juglans regia, or Royal Walnut, and is one of the most admired hardwoods of all time. Many of the finest antiques were made from French Walnut. The heartwood color ranges from medium brown, to tan, to orange and can contain black spider web streaks or vein noir. French Walnut can also be highly figured and have beautiful curl and crotch figure. Most French Walnut is steamed to match its counterpart in veneer.
EUROPEAN WALNUT WOOD
https://www.hearnehardwoods.com/walnut-european-lumber-2/

muzzleloader48, thanking you so much for the great indepth answer to my question. all of them are wonders of figure made by MOTHER NATURE, for us to use!!

muzzleloader48, thanking you so much for the great indepth answer to my question. all of them are wonders of figure made by MOTHER NATURE, for us to use!!
Thanks Toot. I love the grain of walnut, red cedar, etc. We use it to make a variety of products, from knife handles to range boxes to trinket boxes and rustic shelving.

As far as I know Belgium walnut is English walnut (It was probably was called Belgium walnut because it possibly originated from Belgium, but is is still considered English walnut). Black walnut predominately comes from the US.

Just my 2 cents worth.

The wood the rifle was made from was harvested from very old California trees that were once an orchard an came from the root ball, so I was informed....I have more detailed photos of the build if interested......the rifle was to Michigan 2 weeks after it was finished and bagged a nice 8 point.....the finish was polymerized Tung oil.....the rifle will shoot a 3" group off a bench.....

Hilljack

Some of the walnut wood out of California orchard trees was called Claro walnut.

WALNUT by any other name is still WALNUT!!!
In some parts of the world, there are still more figured walnut trees left apparently. Most of the Turkish walnut I see is of a fancier grade than most.

I am buying my muzzle loader permit/add-on tomorrow AM. Here in Maine, we get two additional weeks of muzzle loader hunting for whitetail deer, in the southern zones. Haven't had enough time to get out, and we have had some awful weather. Too much rain, many high winds, etc.

Back