pistol bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
zfishingfool said:
does any one know why most sabots are designed for pistol bullets , not rifle bullets,

Most rifle bullets will not expand properly at muzzleloader velocity...with a few exceptions like the .458 AKA 45/70 and some are just too long to stabilize at the slower twists...such as the 200gr+ .358 AKA 35Rem bullets. Some dont have the needed bullet to sabot bearing surface either and just blow the sabot.

Very few MLs have either the very fast twist and/or just cant produce the needed velocity.

GM54-120 said:
zfishingfool said:
does any one know why most sabots are designed for pistol bullets , not rifle bullets,

Most rifle bullets will not expand properly at muzzleloader velocity...with a few exceptions like the .458 AKA 45/70 and some are just too long to stabilize at the slower twists...such as the 200gr+ .358 AKA 35Rem bullets. Some dont have the needed bullet to sabot bearing surface either and just blow the sabot.

Very few MLs have either the very fast twist and/or just cant produce the needed velocity.

I agree GM54-120!

With the improvement in powders there are some bullets being designed for muzzleloaders; other than that the guys covered it well.

Lee 9 said:
With the improvement in powders there are some bullets being designed for muzzleloaders; other than that the guys covered it well.

Sadly you pay a premium for this option and cant always buy the bullets loose, such as my current favorite 40/45 SST. There is no 40cal FTX option atm.

Too bad Berry's and Rainier have barely touched this market in bulk bullets. I would love a cheap plated version of my SST just for the range. Maybe even a plated boattail.

GM54-120
I have thought about a mold that would duplicate the SST both the 250 and the 200 50/40 cast of hard lead for target. Any thoughts?

Lee 9 said:
GM54-120
I have thought about a mold that would duplicate the SST both the 250 and the 200 50/40 cast of hard lead for target. Any thoughts?

Thats the next project i will try to get my friend to look at. He makes custom bullets and molds. Im not really sure where to start but hardcast would be fine with me. To help prevent nose damage while seating the sabot i think will require a very hard lead.

IMO getting the weight close by just modifying an existing mold will be the hard part. The 300gr might be easier to make from an existing 230-250gr mold.

We have already talked about altering a 45 cal 230-250gr round nose mold just to remove the lube grooves. It might make sizing a PITA but Duke seems to think it is possible.

That looks like a good start for a practice run but my personal casting knowledge is very limited.

Latest posts

Back