Mac's Custom Rod

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lwh723

MM Sponsor
MM Sponsor
Reaction score
Don't know if these rod's have been talked about on this board or not. Here's the review I put up on Doug's. This probably goes in the product review forum, but I think it fits the bill well for smokeless guys that are using a custom stock, barrel, etc and don't want a traditional ramrod.

Got my rod in the mail on Saturday. It's even better than I expected. I didn't realize how it automatically snaps together. Pictures don?t do it justice, so I made a little video for others to see.

Link to video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R_bwC8ST4E

It was a pleasure doing business with Mac. He's a wealth of information.

The rod is basically the "bee's knees." It's compact, lightweight, and very sturdy. Flexing will not be an issue with this rod. If you watch the video, you'll see how quickly it snaps together too. While the cord is the same idea as tent rods, I've never had tent rods go together that easily. :D

The introductory price is $35 (which includes up to $2.50 in shipping). The price will be going to $40 after this year.

Things to note:

1) Mac is trying to go to some fixed sizes 22", 24", & 26". Those lengths can be just the ramrod, or he will cut the last section down for your loading jag of preference so all sections are the same length. As a side note, I went with a 24" overall rod. Shooting a 35gr load of AA5744 only gives me about 3/4" of rod left over in my 27? barrel, so I think I shorted myself a little bit.

1a) Mac already knows the length of a spin jag, so if you go that route, you don?t need to measure yours. Also, when locked together, the sections of the rod are still able to spin. Mac pointed this out to me and I agree after getting mine, this really lessens the need for a spin jag. It doesn?t spin as readily as my USA jag, but I think it?s good enough.

2) He's going to be coming out with a brass handle/bullet starter. This will make the rod much easier to access from the pouch as it is a little hard to get at without anything on the non-loading end. (He thought he would have these ready to go in a 3-4 weeks. Those that have already bought a ramrod will also be getting one).

Text from an e-mail Mac sent me:
In three or four weeks, I will be including a palm saver (a custom brass knob similar to a draw pull knob) and a bullet starter the bullet starter (45 cal) that will accept the following bullets: hornady xtp 250 gr. .452 # 45200, hornady xtp 300gr. .452 # 45230, hornady 300 gr. .458 # 4500. barnes mz, tmz, barnes 300 .458 x bullet # 45802, new replacement # tsfb 45814, 300 gr. )

3) As has been mentioned, Mac will sew loops that would make the pouch fit on the sling. I didn't go with that option because I imagined the rod being a bit more bulky. Now that I have it, I think it would work fairly well on the sling. If you go that route, you may need to come up with some kind of latch to make sure the rod doesn't fall out, but it shouldn't be a difficult fix.

4) In addition to the camo rod, Mac is going to start making black ones too.

I think this pretty much covers everything. For convenience, here?s Mac?s contact info again:

P: 757 4937670
C: 757 642 8391
macandmarlv24?AT?yahoo.com

CIMG0612.JPG

Welcome to the forum. I never cared for break down rods like that. But it would make a nice pack rod for if you had to go off on a hunt and wanted a spare.

Thanks for the welcome. I joined so long ago I didn't realize this was my first post here. :oops: Guess I've just been a reader here.

Honestly, when this one is put together, it's hard to tell it's three pieces. Of course, you can't really patch with it since it will come apart.

jcchartboy said:
Hey Lwh,

Good to see you here and posting too!! :yeah:

JC

Thanks JC. As I'm sure you recall, you're the one who sent me over here to begin with!

Back