The "LK-93" Project(Updated 7/6/10)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkKnight

Reaction score
Well you might remember my post from a couple weeks ago where I showed an LK-93 that I picked up for a great price.

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=16881

I decided that this is my newest project and am going to try to mod this rifle out and keep my budget close to $100 as possible. This will not include the cost of powder and bullets to find the correct load.

So far the damage is as follows:
LK-93, scope and misc items : $50, purchase from buddy.

Knight slip on recoil pad: $15 shipped, purchase from Numrich.
IMG_0386.JPG

2 extra Knight nipples: $6 each, $12 total, purchase from local sporting goods store.
Knight Powder Measurer: $6, purchase from local sporting store.
Knight Loading Jag: $4, purchase from local sporting store.
IMG_0393.JPG

Winchester Sling: $18, purchase from Wal-Mart.
IMG_0388.JPG

Total so far: $105, the last thing I want to get is an extra breech plug if all shoots well with the No.11 caps. Otherwise I might go the conversion route.

IMG_0389.JPG

I'm going to keep this post updated with progression on the gun and also pictures of finding the right powder charge and bullet.

Dave

cool , good deal on that gun . should be a good shooter , most knights are .

Well after more than a month of having this rifle, I finally was able to get out and shoot it.

Here's the recipe that seems to be working.

245gr powerbelt aero tip
80gr of T7 2f
Remington #11 cap.

At 30 yrds, 3 different shooters, all hit the bulls eye with holes touching. One of these shooters was a newbie to muzzleloaders and shooting a scoped rifle.

I think this thing is going to be a tack driver. No pics this round as I forgot the camera. Heading to the longer range to see how she does at 50yrds and 100yrds.

frontier gander said:
really nice rifle but that recoil pad.... thats gotta go!

I ordered that due to the stock not having a pad at all. I was a little hesitant to drill into the stock so the slip on was really the only option. I know she's not too pretty but it gets the job done for now. :D

If that recoil pad is functional and works.. I say fine. We can leave all the other ways to them beauty queen rifles like FG's Accura and Wolf... :D Just kidding FG.

I have a LK-93 and a load mine really likes and it is cheaper the powerbelts.. a .429 300 grain XTP in a green harvester crushed rib sabots. Mine shoots them with 85 grains of 2f powder real well. And recoil is not all that bad.

But with the kind of accuracy you are getting... stick with what works. Nice looking rig you have there.

I have that same slipon recoil pad and it REALLY soaks up the recoil. This weekend i used it with 100gr of BH209 (FPJ209 conversion)and 50-335gr HPs. Recoil was reduced a huge amount and felt milder than 100gr of powder and a 50-300gr bullet.

Shoots great too and just $27 per 100 bullets. ;)

BTW Durasight has/had steel quick release base/ring combos for about $10 plus shipping. Since the LK is a bit dirty it may be a good investment. I only went with a peep on mine because i wanted it really light and already had the GMB54.

And grats, i really like that LK.

Update - 209 Conversion Kit has been purchased and will be tested out this weekend at the farm.

Range report to follow. :D

So far I've got $150 into this project and she is looking sweet! Hope she shoots sweet the second time out!

jsteurrys said:
Which breechplug (FPJ or NFPJ) and powder will you be using?

I'll be using FPJ with T7 2F. It liked T7 2F with #11 caps so I'm hoping this won't be much of a change, just more consistent with my Revolution. 80gr or powder BTW.

Please take a picture of the receiver area after you are done shooting so I can see how dirty it gets for comparison purposes. Thanks in advance.

jsteurrys said:
Please take a picture of the receiver area after you are done shooting so I can see how dirty it gets for comparison purposes. Thanks in advance.

That I can do. Mine wasn't too bad the when I first shot it will #11 caps but I bet this will be cleaner.

My LK93 54cal and 209 FPJ with upto 100gr of BH209 isnt what i would call clean but it isnt terrible either even with mag primers. Its simplicity is it main virtue and a few cheap mods make it much better than any entry level rifle i have ever owned. I leave a film of MX bore conditioner in the breach near the plug and keep the rear part of the plunger well oiled. The breach almost wipes clean with minimal effort.

I have just under $150 in mine also and IMO i got a great deal on it.

Its my personal "fun" gun and a joy to carry with just a peep site. Using 80-100grs it shoots great and recoil is now much better with the slipon. The peep site also makes it easier to clean and load. I have no problem keeping sub 1 1/2 groups at 65 yards with my setup with sabots or Maxis.

jsteurrys said:
Which breechplug (FPJ or NFPJ) and powder will you be using?

I used the NFPJ breech plug in a .45 cal Wolverine 209, and it was a mess. After a dozen shots or so, the magnet popped out with the primer.

Back