LRH and Lehigh 250gr

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHHunter

Reaction score
I got home last night and my LRH from Cabelas was waiting for me .... about 4-days early. My first impressions are good ... fit and finish are great. I was reading about these Lehigh cnc bullets and decided to order a box of those as well ... still trying to figure out what scope to get.

Assuming I am pleased with the groupings prior ..I'm going to bring this combo (Knight LRH/Lehigh 250gr) with me to Illinois for a November hunt. I have pellets there that I left from a hunt last year... 50/50 777. I used to shoot 3 pellets w/ a 300gr Barnes expander out of my Omega. Has anyone tried using 3 777 pellets w/ a 250 Lehigh bullet yet? It seems most posts make reference to 100Gr (2 pellets) with a bullet in the 250gr range ... I'm wondering if theres any 'downside' to shooting with a heavier/3-pellet load?

Based on the info on the Lehigh site, I'm assuming the bullet should be moving at the fastest possible velocity to achieve the results pictured in their ballistic-gel test .. .thats why im thinking about using 3.

thanks guys ...

with the lehighs, you're going to have to
push them with at least 120gr loose T7 , 3 pellets or 120-130gr blackhorn 209.

The pellets, have a tendency to gather moisture and shoot a bit erratically
you might want to invest in some new powder to be sure the old pellets are still giving you the same answer. Lee

from what I was told basically most don't shoot more than 120-125 of bh209 because at that point it shoots like 150 gr of 777 without the kick.

post a pic of your set-up I bought one and its a darn nice gun. Still playing around with mine and trying a different sabot size.

Thanks for the feedback guys ... As soon as I have it setup, I'll post a pic. I stopped at a local shop last night and bought a few hundred of those red plastic primer discs too .... maybe Im paranoid but with Knight going under I had some hesitation buying the gun. the 177 cabelas points i had saved got me the gun for $222 so I cant complain .... im not too easily impressed .. but, this gun looks very well made.

I have to figure out what mount to get next ... i calle leupold and they tech guy wasnt much help ... ill give warne a buzz next. ill probably end up with another leupold scope as thats all i ever buy for optics ....

I want to try and track down another breach plug too ... just to have.... I went to Natchezss and they were all out. Any thoughts re: places online that sell Knight accessories.

earnhard3

most don't shoot more than 120-125 of bh209 because at that point it shoots like 150 gr of 777 without the kick.

BH is good stuff but it is not that good...

Here is some information compiled by Toby B. It shows that BH is definitely creates more velocity - it certainly is not a world of difference + plus you pay a lot more it...

Shooting last fall with my favorite .50 caliber Knight DISC Extreme revealed that with a 100-grain volume- measured charge of Pyrodex "RS Select", the powder would get a saboted 260-grain Harvester Muzzleloading "Scoprion PT Gold" out of the muzzle (26" barrel) at 1,656 f.p.s. - which is about the same as when shooting the same amount of FFFg black powder. The same rifle and bullet gave 1,944 f.p.s. with a 100-grain volume-measured charge of FFFg Triple Seven...and 1,968 f.p.s. with the same volume-measured amount of Blackhorn 209. In comparison, the Blackhorn 209 load generates 2,236 f.p.e., while the Triple Seven load is good for 2,179 f.p.e.

Upping the powder charge to 110 grains of each powder pushes the Triple Seven velocity to 2,018 f.p.s. (with 2,353 f.p.e.) and the Blackhorn 209 velocity to 2,039 f.p.s. (with 2,400 f.p.e.). Note: These are all volume-measured charges. By actual weight, a 100-grain volume-measured charge of either Triple Seven or Blackhorn 209 will be right at 70 grains.

Here is a table I created by shooting and logging the information... Remember this is with a light 200 grain bullet - BH does not show the differences until you get to the heavier bullets.

45VelocityTest.jpg

And here is one i have started with a 50 cal ML and a 300 grain bullet....

50calT7vsBHVelocity.jpg

NHHunter

Same mount for a DISC Elite/Extreme will fit your LRH - they use the same action. You have the fancier barrel and stock that basically is the difference.

This is where i got my rings and bases for my LRH...Leupold was worthless when I called too.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=185654

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=794729

From what toby e-mailed me when I asked questions he said "BH209 is simply a hotter powder than triple 7...And a less amount can match the velocity of heavier charges of triple 7."

he later in the e-mail went on to say "Notice that with heavier charges, there is a diminishing return for the velocity gained. With 120 grains, I get 2,072 f.p.s. (2,856 f.p.e.)...with 30 more grains of powder, I gain just 111 f.p.s. (and about 300 f.p.e.). Out at 200 yards, the knockdown gain is only about 175 f.p.e. However, on the butt end of shooting the 150-grain charges...the recoil is significantly more brutal than when shooting 120-grain charges.

The 120-grain charges are still enjoyable to shoot...150-grain charges of Blackhorn 209 are not. With the load I'm shooting, I am very confident that I can cleanly take any 1,000-pound-plus moose I get an opportunity at to about 225 yards (1,400 f.p.e. min.)...any 800 pound elk at around 250 yards (1,200 f.p.e. min.)...or any whitetail buck all the way out at 300 yards (800+ f.p.e.)."

Latest posts

Back