Found a sabot load for my Accura

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontier gander

Reaction score
The teflon tape around the primers actually helps a pretty good deal but theres still a lot of fouling on the frame and inside the primer area. I will try to find a .003-.005" thick o ring in a bit and see how that does.

I believe these are the mmp-24 black sabots, .451" 300gr XTP mags pushed by 120gr ( 88gr Weight) Pyrodex RS, CCI Inline MZL primers.

NO SWABBING OR COOL DOWN TIME BETWEEN SHOTS!

As normal, 100 yards - 3 shots.
XTP120grRS001.jpg

XTP120grRS002.jpg

XTP120grRS003.jpg

Thats my index finger.
A nickel would be to big to cover it, and a Dime is just a little smaller than the group.
XTP120grRS004.jpg

You won't find an o-ring any where near that thin, the human hair is between .002" and .003". You can change primers to a longer one though.

After closer examination of your standing breech, part of the problem looks to be built into the design of the rifle. That large screw with the pilot hole in it for the firing pin has been buggered up a little, and the large slot will allow your primer to flow back, as evidenced by the marks on your primer in the pic. I know those marks might not look like much, but under pressure can be several thousandths before spring-back. it also appears that some peening of the hole is going on as well. I would call CVA and ask for a new one as well as another breech plug. The CCI primers have a much more rounded primer cup that sits deeper in the battery cup than several other brands, this would also let more blowback pressure flow between the actual primer and the battery cup.

I noticed they went a different route on the Apex, as they also have to be able to contain the thrust of a center fire cartridge.

The best way to figure out how long your primer should be is to measure one, then insert it and shoot it in your rifle without a load, then measure it again. The after measurement will be real close to the length of primer you need, or tell you how much is actually flowing back into the slot/hole after spring-back.

It also appears that the breech screw sits well below the rest of the standing breech. You might be able to cut a shim out of a pop can to go under that to make it more flush with the rest of the standing breech, closing up your excess headspace even more.

With that big slot and chamfered hole, I think you are fighting a losing battle with the particular primer. Punch a piece of aluminum foil out with a hole punch and stick it to the back side of the primer. Your firing pin should be able to push on through to the primer to set it off. Maybe try a couple thicknesses until it locks up tight, then measure the length.

You sure can't argue with that group, good shooting.

That is a great group. And with that kind of power, nothing would stand up to that.

Excellent group. The GOOD thing about the Accura is even with blowback, the action is very easily cleaned.

Looks to me like your firing pin retaining piece is screwed in past flush, that could be a problem as well.

(sorry, Apex on my mind :wink: )

Underclocked said:
Looks to me like your firing pin retaining piece is screwed in past flush, that could be a problem as well.

Ahhhhhh! I just noticed that. i shall take it apart and see if thats the case or not.

i checked and the screw was fine. Mated up perfectly level with the frame. I guess the fouling added some weirdness to it.

But i did back that bushing screw out a little, put a primer in and adjusted it a little to where its lightly pushing up against the primer. I will have to give it a try tomorrow and see how it does.

Latest posts

Back