300 grain vs 250 grain

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shrimpy50

Reaction score
hello all. i am new to the site and have not posted much if at all. my question is in regards to the heavier bullet. is there much flight difference out to 200 yards. i live in an area where that shot might come up. i definitely have stands on all thhe major places to minimize long shots. but being prepared is the key to success. having practiced a fair amount to 200 yards i am positive the shot is doable bot does the 250 have enough oomph? should i switch to 300's.

If you are talking deer and a well constructed bullet, the 250 should be plenty big enough.

There are some people here going to use the 247 gr thor bullet this year on elk. Should be interesting, but it appears that it is well enough constucted to take it (solid copper bullet).

For deer, that 250 grain should be plenty. Shot placement is the key. Put that in the right place and you better not have forgot you knife. You're going to need it.

Some people have even dropped down to a 200 grain bullet. Again, shot placement and the bullet will do the rest. It will be interesting to see what others respond to.

Im using a copper conical (Thor) in 247gr with charges from 90 to 110gr. Deer, elk and bear. Hopefully we'll run across one or the other :lol:

When it comes to lead though, I would use the heavier bullet, especially on elk and bear.

bullet

I use a 200 grain XTP Mag in 10 mm. Kills em' dead of I do my job/

Latest posts

Back