Aloha from Hawaii

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldrgr

Reaction score
Morning. This place looks like a fabulous source of information on a topic that I know jack squat about.

Was on active duty in the Infantry from '68 - 95 and thereafter was able to begin hunting routinely in earnest without the typical schedule disruptions.

The gang with whom I rifle hunt elk in CO decided to try for the ML season this year. We applied under the group tag process and were successful. We'll be hunting for cows during the peak of the rut in our usual local, La Garita Mtns in SW CO.

In anticipation of drawing a ML tag, my buddy and I bought MLs and sighted them in on Memorial Day while I was in CO Springs. I purchased a T/C Omega and am quite pleased with it so far. For the sighting in I used Triple 7 FFG and a 348 Gr Powerbelt. Decisions were mostly made based on my buddy's initial research, discussions with the proprietor of Mountain Man Outfitting in Manitou Springs and what was available on the shelf at Specialty Sports in the Springs (OBVIOUSLY I'M A ML ROOKIE....)

The Omega shot fine. Of course in CO - no scopes, no sabots, and no pellets. I didn't realize up front that Triple 7 burns hotter than traditional black powders, so I screwed up and had too much powder by volume in the rifle. Will correct that. I'm intrigued by the Black Horn powder references on the Forum.

I currently am living and work in Hawaii, but do all my hunting in CO and where I maintain my firearms sans my Cowboy Action Shooting irons. Hawaii gun laws are draconian requiring registration with HPD.

Long winded, but am looking forward to learning from the corporate knowledge here.

Quick question up front - is Black Horn powder relatively new, and is it available at most shooting outlets that cater to ML'ing?

Regards
Bob

Bob - welcome to the forum. Blackhorn 209 has been around for a while, like around a year, but it is not all that easy to find. Check some of the chain stores like Sportsman Warehouse, Dicks, Bass Pro Shop, Gander Mountain, or you can order it on line from a lot of sites.

There is nothing wrong with Triple Seven powder. Its a good powder with lots of power. Sounds like you have a good rifle and bullet.

Thanks gents, especially for the info on Black Horn powder. I'm going to look into that brand, but will most likely hunt this season using the T7 FFG that I sighted in with.

This may be overkill, but a veteran ML hunter working at the place in CO Springs where I picked up my Omega offered this concoction as a cleaning agent when shooting BP or substitues that are corrosive. It worked very well by the way.
Equal parts of Murphy's Oil Soap, peroxide and alcohol (not a Merlot - :wink: )
I realize that plain ole water does a good job as well. I know from using corrosive primed brass in my milsurps that back in the day, our solvents were water based to deal with the salts in the primer mixture.

Regards

Back