Batcheif TrashCan Range Report

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spitpatch

Reaction score
I should start this report with an apology to Batchief for the lateness of this report as I told him I would do a range report months ago.

Well, Bat...I am very impressed with the quality of your 500 grain TrashCan to say the least.

I have shot very few full bore lead conicals, so I don't have a lot of experience to draw from.

I used my 50 cal. Disc Elite
Bushnell 3200 3-9x40
65 grains of BH 209
Fed. 209 primers
50 cal wool pads
I also swabbed between shots, allowing the barrel to cool.
No shots were chronographed.

Two shots to get on paper. Wow!! I forgot what recoil is all about! Even at 65 grains it rocks your world!!!
One scope adjustment shot, then four more for measurement.

That was enough for me to say these suckas shoot!! .900" ctc at 100 yards. Very impressive considering it was done with a 1:28 Elite.

Now I have a few left.... and I want to use them on deer this year.
It should be quite an education.

If the recoil doesn't blow me out of the tree..... 8)

Nice bullets, Bat 8)

SANY1623.jpg

flounder said:
Nicely done. What were those trashcans sized to to shoot out of your elite?
Art

Art...they measured .505

I've never slugged my barrel so I don't know what the Elite measures.

Well when you can shoot a group like that, its all you would need to put down a whitetail. That should make a great deer load. That is some great shooting.

In my White I shoot a 500 grain BullShop conical with 70 grains of Goex 3f. I have had it blow a hole through 1/4 inch plate steel. It can go through a good size tree as well.

I have another White in .451 and that is my long distance shooter. I shoot a 460 grain in .451 and it will shoot excellent groups. I have yet to kill a deer with it, but I have no doubt that little squirrel gun would knock the snot out of a white tail.

Nimrodder said:
Great shooting Spitpatch 8) . I've taken two bucks with Chiefs Trashcans--be prepared for a massive and short bloodtrail.

where do you get those Trashcan bullets?

Wow! That's impressive! I wonder how fast those are traveling at 100 yards with 65 grains of BH209. At 1000 fps, there is over 1000 ftlbs of energy, any deer in front of that thing is meat in the freezer.

Nimrodder is right on with the 1-20 twist. And that little 22 inch barrel on the Model 97 in that .451 caliber is really accurate. It is hard to believe that it will shoot as accurate as it does.

Glad they worked out for ya Spit! I figured you just tossed 'em in the trash.... :lol:

Those trashcans at even 1300fps at the muzzle carry plenty of knock down much further than you may imagine. Even enough for over 800FPE at 200yards if you can adjust for the 20"+ drop depending on site in distance..

This bullet looks just like the ticket for my Ovation 50cal with a deep broach rifled 1-24 twist and about 70gr of BH209. 70-80gr should put it in the 1300fps range and a big 500gr hulk of soft lead is just deadly even at 900fps.

With 72gr. of Swiss 3F,,,they're chrony'ing right around 1300... 8) There's no doubt in your mind when they hit after the shot.. :lol:

Spit,
Did you have to reef on them pretty good to get em started down the bore? Did you try shooting any without the wad?
Art
________
FIND DISPENSARY

flounder said:
Spit,
Did you have to reef on them pretty good to get em started down the bore? Did you try shooting any without the wad?
Art

Thumb pressure in my S91 is all it takes for me, I use a unlubed wad. I also killed two deer with these trashcans and no blood trail, cause they piled up right there!! 8)

The loading process for my Elite was somewhat more difficult than a sabot.
They started down the barrel by finger pressure, but only went about 1/4".
I then had to use my wooden palm saver to finish the starting process.
Then used the range rod with my palm saver and they went down 1/2 way and would hang up. I had to really hang on the rod to get em down.

FG....I will have to take a picture of the stock on that gun....be patient and I'll get it.

Latest posts

Back