Bad day at the range.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernieg

Reaction score
Heres the problem, shot 10in high at 25yds. 58cal ZOUAVE. I'am trying to remove the front site. Is it dovetailed to the barrel or silver soldered? It dose'nt seem to move when i use a puch! :? :oops:

Hey bernieg, mine is a Navy Arms Zouave by Zoli. I had the same problem. Near as I can tell that sucker is welded on.

And before you start wondering - no, I don't have a scope on it. :wink: I did, however, play around with the sight system so I can shoot it. Those factory military sights were useless for me.

If you haven't seen it, check out this thread. http://huntingnet.com/forum/black-powde ... sight.html

I may beable to grind it off an then dovetail the barrel. Thanks Semisane, I've got 2 of them. :huh?:

I've never done it, but I've heard of people building up the front sight with JB Weld. Might be easier than cutting and grinding. If the JB Weld didn't work, you could always grind it off.

Mine does the same thing! The sucker shoots great but very high with patched roundball:

IMG_0210.JPG

The gun is made to shoot minie balls and I have some to try once I get around to it....

Many of your civil war rifles were set to shoot high. The reason was, soldiers were taught to aim for the belt buckle of the other side. This would normally result is a center mass hit at close to moderate ranges. Then as the distances moved back they aimed at the chest and head, they were then not aiming with a hold over their head type sight pattern.

At least that is what a read many years ago...

There is a Zouave "sniper sight" that slips over the barrel and gives a "crosshair" front sight picture. Try Dixie Gunworks, or Track of The Wolf. It might help.

You might try just slitting the existing sight front to rear and inserting a taller silver blade, solder or pin in place.

I solved my front sight elevation problem with a couple of 4 X 40 socket head screws and a brass nut. Rounded the nut, filed the factory front sight flat, and soldered the nut to the flat. Now I can screw in different lengths of screw shanks (or screws with the head on) and change front sight height at will. You could use a smooth shank screw so that the threaded section in in the nut only with the smooth shank sticking up, but the threaded post is pretty sharp and glare free.

FrontSight.jpg

I'am thinking about that j/b weld right now. The slit from front to back would be nice if i can do it. Marines don't give up!!! :wink:

Back