Dressing the bore

Help Support Frontier Muzzle Loading:

Clyde

All, I plan on hunting with real black powder for the first time . My problem is this the first shot on a cold clean barrel is always 2 inches left of the later group . So I’m guessing I’m going to have to dress the bore . If I fire a blank charge the day prior to hunting spit patch and dry patch the bore and load my hunting charge how much if any rust can I expect ?

CVA Fanboy

Supporting Member
FML Supporter
One day would be mostly surface, Or Knowing cold clean barrel is always 2 inches left, take the initiative on that first shot and just aim 2 inches to the right. Now for me there would be no extra firing of blank charge, spit patch, dry patch, no worry on rust.

drax05

FML Supporter
All, I plan on hunting with real black powder for the first time . My problem is this the first shot on a cold clean barrel is always 2 inches left of the later group . So I’m guessing I’m going to have to dress the bore . If I fire a blank charge the day prior to hunting spit patch and dry patch the bore and load my hunting charge how much if any rust can I expect ?
2" at how far? Anyhow, the only shot you should be really concerned about is the first shot as I don't think the critter will be standing around waiting for you to reload the second....... If you don't want to move the sights permanently, do as CVA Fanboy suggests. Also experiment with different loads, patching, powder, ball size etc.

CVA Fanboy

Supporting Member
FML Supporter
2" at how far? Anyhow, the only shot you should be really concerned about is the first shot as I don't think the critter will be standing around waiting for you to reload the second....... If you don't want to move the sights permanently, do as CVA Fanboy suggests. Also experiment with different loads, patching, powder, ball size etc.
Yes the experimentation, Would also be helpful and might find the 2 in drift pulled out by larger/smaller projectile, as patching. I made the error of thinking pet load developed. as I have discovered .490 & .495 and conical are as different as Lemons and Steak pending Rifle, rifling and shooter.

Clyde

I am sorry I should have said @ 100 yds . I’m thinking of a compromise of making sure there is no oil and fire more than one cap maybe between the two the barrel will be more fouled .