How do you know?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJAdventures

Reaction score
Which sabot is best for your bore? I have read you need to know the size of the bore of your muzzle loader to be able to use the right sabot. Is it trial and error or can you measure it and cut some corners before you buy your sabots? Doesn't which bullet you use have some bearing on which sabot is the best or are the diameters of the bullets that close to each other?

The best way is to simply ask on this and other forums.just post what brand and the particular make and caliber,then request info on various bullets..enjoy!

There is some trial and error. Sabots are different thicknesses to accomidate for differences in bore size. The most commonly used bullets are a .451 or 452. The longer bullets(300gr and up) have more surface area and will likely load in your bore with more resistance compared to a 250gr bullet of similar construction.

A simple and fairly cheap way to find out.

Buy 2 packs of the Hornady 250 SSTs. One with the low drag sabots and one with the standards. Total cost about $30 for 40 shots.

Keep the bullets and sabots you like. Pitch the other sabots and get the ones you need after a range session but keep the bullets.

The 300gr SST low drags have shot pretty well for me in 2 different bore size 50s.

After you find out what combo shoots well you can buy the components separately and usually save some money.

I have a TC Pro Hunter 50 cal. I haven't shot it yet but have 2 packs of Bonded 250gr TC Shockwave Super Glides. I am determined that I am not shooting it until I get my hands on some BH 209.

SJAdventures

I have a TC Pro Hunter 50 cal. I haven't shot it yet but have 2 packs of Bonded 250gr TC Shockwave Super Glides.
First thing you doi is get rid of those Super Glides and purchase some Crush Ribs, In your Pro Hunter you will be sending bullets down that have been loaded loose because of that sabot. I never and I don't beleive anyone w/ a Pro or Encore, Endeavor had any luck w/ that sabot.

Re: SJAdventures

Bucker said:
I have a TC Pro Hunter 50 cal. I haven't shot it yet but have 2 packs of Bonded 250gr TC Shockwave Super Glides.
First thing you doi is get rid of those Super Glides and purchase some Crush Ribs, In your Pro Hunter you will be sending bullets down that have been loaded loose because of that sabot. I never and I don't beleive anyone w/ a Pro or Encore, Endeavor had any luck w/ that sabot.

Any certain model of Crush Ribs assuming there is more than one type/color?

The CR you would likely want to try would be black in color and are for .451/.452 bullets.

Thanks for all the really good info. I am sure your all helping me cut a good bit of time off finding the best bullets and sabots for my TC PH. I really have a good starting place now.

Latest posts

Back