How far do November Turkeys wander from their spring range?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry

Reaction score
In Mid November I saw a flock of ten huge beautiful toms while deer hunting in Southern Michigan. The snow and sub freezing weather had not started yet. I'm wondering if those same toms will still be there in April. [/i]

Around here, the toms will start busting up into smaller groups anytime now. Usually late Jan to early Feb.
The areas where I see turkey during the summer/fall/winter seem to be almost void of turkeys come spring. They seem to migrate to other areas about 5-10 miles away.

It's almost time to start doing some early morning "listening" trips here. I can't wait.

I am by no measure a turkey biology expert, or even all that knowledgeable about turkey biology, but I can tell you what I have learned from over 15 years of first hand observations.

I use to have permission to deer hunt a farm that I would see turkeys on almost constantly from the Nov Shotgun season until I had to call it quits at the close of late season bow in January. I mean in certain areas this farm was litteraly crawling with turkeys that I learned almost to my demise to make sure a turkey had not desided to roost in my tree stand before I tried to step on to the stand platform in the dark.

The neighbors land held as meny if not more turkeys and I was once treated to a most increadable sight when I saw well over 50 Tom Turkeys (2 groups of 25 or more ea) square off against one another and go at it in a kind of no holds barred turkey turf rumble.

First time I deer hunted this land and saw all those turketys I thought, I have got it made this coming spring. But much to my compleat surprise after hunting it for three strairt springs I only ever saw two turkeys total on both the farm I had permission to hunt as well as the neighbors.

I had similare experiences on two other farms as well.

And the last piece of evidence is the fact my favorite turkey land that I have killed over 23 turkeys in the last 15 seasons is utterly devoid of turkeys during deer season.

So based on these experiences only and no biology or other sceience, I strongly beleive that turkeys, at least the ones I have hunted for the last now 16 years have a clearly defined winter range and spring/summer range.

Just my experiences and others I am sure will differ or not agree with mine.

Arthur.

Latest posts

Back