Nikon Omega Scope

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunter8282

Reaction score
So what i have been wondering is, if you get an Omega scope but don't use the recommended load (150 grains of Pyrodex (pellets or powder), 250-grain bullets--and ranges (out to 250-yards), what good is the BDC?

You would just have to take the scope to the range and see where those marks on the reticle for 100, 150, 200, 225 & 250 yards really hit for your particular load. For example the scope circle for 150 might really be your 175.

I'll pass on that scope. The most I would want is like the Burris Ballistic Plex, not those circle aim points. For most hunting ranges holding a little high on fur is good enough(with distance ranged & if drop is a consideration).

If you hunt where long shots are common, a BDC might be of value. Funny thing is, I had one once long ago on a 30-06 and even though I took long shots, never really used the other marks. I just knew the hold over.

Because you are not going to use the "set load" then you need to discover where the other marks hit. Or really the BDC is of no value. I have a Nikon Omega with out the BDC and love the scope. But where I hunt, 100 yards might be the max range now.

I have an omega scope on all our muzzleloaders with the bdc and so far, they have all performed great. I haven't had the chance to shoot past 150 yards yet, but soon. I shoot 110 grains of BH209 and 250 grain and 300 grain shockwaves and so far, the 150 yard circle has been right on. One day, I shot all three of our muzzleloaders topped with the omegas, and all three at 150 yards were right on. Two were shot with the 250 grain bullets and the third with 300 grain bullets. I am curious to see how close the 200 yard circles are with my combos, I'm guessing they will be close. I'll report my findings.

i also have the omega bdc scope on top of a 410 cal white and with my load of 75gr of 777 3f and a big 455grain bullet.the cross hare is 2in high at 100yds and the bottom circle is right on at 200yds.
i have not had a chance to see where the poi is for the other circles yet,but i know the 200yd gong at the range gets whaaacked all the time with this setup :wink:

BDC

I had one on my Pro Hunter. I recently traded it off . Reason was I didn't use the technology in the heat of the moment. I used Kentucky windage, my knowledge I got by shooting it alot, reading ballistics on here, and being confident I could put that bullet where it belonged because i knew my gun. It all came together for me because I practiced. I know weird but it is what it is........

bp45cal said:
i also have the omega bdc scope on top of a 410 cal white and with my load of 75gr of 777 3f and a big 455grain bullet.the cross hare is 2in high at 100yds and the bottom circle is right on at 200yds.
i have not had a chance to see where the poi is for the other circles yet,but i know the 200yd gong at the range gets whaaacked all the time with this setup :wink:

bp, I was thinking just yesterday to ask you what your load was for the .410 White and you must have heard me thinking... :shock:

Which White model by the way? I have the shorter Whitetail in .410 8)

it's the s91 i also have a whitetail in 410.the first white i got actually from the booletman[mark]have'nt shot the whitetail much at all.

muskrat30 said:
I'll pass on that scope. The most I would want is like the Burris Ballistic Plex, not those circle aim points. For most hunting ranges holding a little high on fur is good enough(with distance ranged & if drop is a consideration).

Iv got the burris ballistic plex and like it alot, but iv never had to use the plex and dont think i will where i hunt.

The scope seems to work well for me. I'll be trying out to 200 this weekend weather permitting and will report.

Latest posts

Back