Shipping?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What State are you in, and what State are you shipping to. Some states I believe, do have restrictions when shipping black powder.

I ship a lot of rifles and never had a problem. I ship UPS normally as our post office postmaster always questions the law of shipping a muzzleloader. Even when I prove it it legal. So I find it easier to put it in a box, take it to UPS and ship it as "sporting goods." I was asked once what was in the box by them. I told them it was a pipe, some wood and a small tool. That was the end of that.

You will probably have issues sending any muzzleloader that can have its barrel swapped to a center fire rifle or can be converted into a pistol through the mail. One example is the TC Encore family of guns that are treated as regular firearms. Not sure how the CVA models and other brands are handled if they can have their barrels swapped from somethng other then a muzzleloader but I bet the ATF considers them the same.

I always ship mine UPS (yes FedEX is way too expensive). Last time I shipped one, it was less than $20, but that was before last summer when everything went up.

I have never done it, but was told by my local USPS that you can ship a muzzleloader by mail, but as stated, you have to wrap it in plane paper and do NOT mark it as a firearm.

Everyone pretty much covered it. Just be specific if the usps people question what is in it to make sure to say it is a muzzleloader not a rifle. As stated some exceptions are the switch barrel guns that are actually considered firearms. Some states have strange restrictions also. I think Michigan, Illinois, New Jersey and possibly New York have some special rules that might make shipment not legal in those states. Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, and most of the western states with exception of liberal state California have no restrictions (we are still the "Wild West"). I have shipped and received muzzleloaders both new from Knight and used from individuals and all were USPS shipments.

shipping

I once shipped a shotgun U.P.S. and listed the contents when asked as a "Harvesting tool or implement" from Michigan to Kansas City. It was less than $20.00.

A friend in Alaska told me to ship a weapon rifle /shotgun U.S.P.S to myself c/o his address to go hunting with IF & WHEN I went up there. As I suspected my local postmistress balked at the idea. I went home an called the nearest ATF office in Detroit & the nice young lady sent me a copy of the law & a shipping form to fill out. A few days later the Post Mistress started again to question me until I showed her the 3 page letter sent from ATF -Detroit, shrugged her shoulders & sent it. My buddy in Alaska is still "holding it for me". Everything was legal!!! :wink:

i've had 6 or so muzzeloaders shipped usps to me in canada with no problem,i just needed to get some paperwork done on them took less than a week for the paperwork and acouple of weeks to get here. 8)

Underclocked said:
Yes, you can. Try to put it in a plain outer box.

What HE said! You got an answer on GBO, from Tim the mailman for 32 years. :lol:

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/ ... 116.0.html

http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm300/601.htm

11.3 Rifles and Shotguns

Although unloaded rifles and shotguns not precluded by 11.1.1e and 11.1.2 are mailable, mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, Public Law 90-618, 18 USC 921, et seq., and the rules and regulations promulgated thereunder, 27 CFR 178, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not precluded by 11.1.1e.

11.4 Legal Opinions on Mailing Firearms

Postmasters are not authorized to give opinions on the legality of any shipment of rifles or shotguns. Contact the nearest office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms for further advice.

My P.O. has no problem with it.
They do ask that they be broken down if possable.

I just shipped my Triumph back to TC through UPS with no questions asked, you just have to list it as antique black powder....... and it was only ten bucks...........

Latest posts

Back