Three Bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recently i shot 3 300g 45 caliber bullets into juice jugs filled with water. There hasn't been much to do around here, what with the Walleye spawning, and the breech plug modifications completed, and tested. Shooting these bottles seems to be a healthy thing to do cuz someone has to empty the juice from them, and the sight of water, bottle caps, and bottle shreds flying into the air has a tendency to put one into a good mood. The load was 105g BH209, and the distance was around 60 feet. The typical set up was 4 bottles backed by a couple of one inch boards as shown:

P4301475.JPG

P4301476.JPG

The first bullet pictured is an xtp. It penetrated 3 jugs, and was found lying in the bottom of the 3rd jug. The sum weight is 250.2g.

P4301462.JPG

P4301463.JPG

P4301464.JPG

The next bullet is a gold dot. It penetrated through 4 bottles, and bounced off the first board leaving a dent in the board, and was found lying right there. It weighs 262.4g.

P4301465.JPG

P4301466.JPG

P4301467.JPG

And now lastly, a Nosler Partition. The set up was changed by adding another bottle; just had a notion it may be necessary. The bullet penetrated the 5 bottles, and the 2 boards, and wasn't laying right there. After a short search it was found lying on the ground about 5 feet away. It weighs 276.4g.

P4301472.JPG

P4301473.JPG

P4301470.JPG

I got very similar results on my Dead Phone books thread.

The Nosler Partition i used was the .429 250gr HP though. The bigger GoldDots/UniCores and the Hunting series hold up very well considering the design. Performing better than a slightly more expensive and heavier 300gr XTP is priceless.

Scott

ronlaughlin

Thank you - thank you..... I have long professed exactly what you have found because i have had simular results.

Actully I think there will be a lot of folks very interested in this shooting episode...

Want to repeat it one more time - I'll send you a 300 grain Lehigh and you can shoot it and add that result to the results but you will need to add another bottle....

The worst part i believe I can explain the reson for every one of your results

thanks

Great report Ron. Your results are exactly what I would have expected and illustrate why I'm a real fan of Gold Dots. They expand well and hold together without costing a buck a bullet.

Great report.
The Gold Dot looks as if it would be devistating on game.
Just looking at the expansion I can imagine the wound channel.

good report , i am glad i am using GD now for hunting , but the xtp looks like it would have done a great job also . But the GD held together way better . :D

UtahRob said:
............................am using GD now for hunting , but the xtp looks like it would have done a great job........................
The xtp certainly does do a good job when hunting. Three deer this last season downed by xtp. Two were broadside pass throughs, with much damage. The third i met on a trail; we were walking toward each other. It saw me a split second after i saw it; an xtp into the front of it's chest, straight on, from about 40 yard dropped it right now, right there, and it expired when i arrived, after walking those 40 yard.

Latest posts

Back