Is cleaning a Triumph a pain at the range?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpcollins

Reaction score
I almost bought the Omega with the thumbhole stock but decided to get the Bone Collector because the shorter stock shouldered better plus I like the quick breach plug easy removal feature. I've got my scope mounted and I'm chomping at the bit to head to the range when it warms up.

Then I got to thinking about how I would clean it between shots at the range if I wanted to? With my old MK85, I could leave it resting in my Bull Bag or rifle rest and just swab the barrel from the rear end. Now I'm trying to figure out how to clean my BC with it broke open? Since I don't have three hands, I'm visualizing it always wanting to close on the cleaning rod. That Omega would have been alot easier to clean. Any tips on how to clean a Triumph at the range? Thanks.

I swab between shots with the rifle in a verticle position(bore up). Load in the same manner. As far as cleaning, all you may have to do is run a drill bit into the BP to clean out the primer buildup during a range session. Unless I'm misunderstanding the question? No need to remove breech plug for swabbing.

I use Blackhorn so I never swab, to clean at the range I clean the barrel first two wet both side then two dry both sides then I pull the Breach plug and clean it front and inside [I use Teflon tape so the threads never get dirty] I clean the flame channel with a drill making sure I get the carbon out then I pull the vent liner and clean it and pass a needle through it to make sure the torch hole is clean. Then I make one pass from the back with a wet patch up through the barrel from the back end and one dry patch then the breach plug goes back in and I run the synthetic oil patch through and wipe down the out side with it after the barrel is done on the inside. It probably took me longer to type this than it does to clean my Triumph when using BH. Takes about 3 to 5 minutes depending on if I hurry or not; I am kind of a perfectionist so it would be likely that some one else could do it faster. Lee

Ive been shooting Pyrodex RS in my Triumph. You know how dirty it is. I simply stand the gun up and run a wet patch of windshield washer fluid and alcohol down the barrel followed by a dry patch after each shot. No need to pull the plug until I clean at the end of the day. My TC must like it. It will bust 1 inch groups at 100 yards.

quigley
There is nothing wrong with Pyrodex, its easy to find and I rate it as the most dependable powder on the market, it may be a bit dirty but never in all the years I used it did it give me one of the hard awful crud rings or get a brand new can of powder that had a Standard Deviation so bad it would not group. I still use it in some guns and Blackhorn in the others. Blackhorn is only usable in inlines with good ignition so I need some thing for the others like my under hammer and renagade and hawken and pistols. Lee

Latest posts

Back