Can I use BH209 in a tk2000 shotgun?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Deer Man

Reaction score
Just got one and was wondering.

If not what powders work best? I have swiss black 2f or I could buy something else if it works better.

Because you have to use a 209 jacket... BH209 might work. I am not sure of the breech plug. I use a #11 cap in my TK2000 and shoot Pyrodex RS.

Swiss will do you just fine. I wouldn't want that Big Ol' Tom you finally got within range to escape because my powder wouldn't go off. If it isn't broke....don't fix it!

Used T7 3f in the past. Going to try Swiss in the spring - cause Bat said so :)

any suggestions for loads?

Was thinking of using the Turk Ranger Wads.

But deciding between hevi-shot and nickel plated.

I use a 3-1/4 rather stiff shot cup with short cuts down the side. I can't remember the on line store I bought them from but I get their stupid catalog sent to the house now all the time. Precision something or other. I then load an equal shot cup of a mix of 6 + 7-1/2 shot. I top that with a foam wad shot card. I was knocking olive cans around at 40 yards with that load. A paper turkey target I shot at had seven hits in the kill zone. I also topped my TK2000 with a red dot. I am not sure I like it, but it seems to work. All of that on 85 grains of Pyrodex RS. I did try 100 grains but it really has a lot of recoil.

FrontStuffer1 said:
any suggestions for loads?

Was thinking of using the Turk Ranger Wads.

But deciding between hevi-shot and nickel plated.

Hevi-shot is good stuff,,but expensive. No experience with the nickel stuff.

I use triple seven ffg and #6 hevi-shot the last three years and shot three gobblers with my tk2000. Im using knights wads and the patterns are great out to 50 yards. i dont even hunt anymore with my 870.

I have a TK2000 also and after much grief I went to hevi shot. You will not be disappointed if you can afford it. With TPS wad and 2oz of #6 hevi you will not believe the diff. Lead shot in my gun totally sucked. I was getting 160-173 in a 10" circle @ 40 yards. Lead would cut that number in half. I shot unplated,copper plated, nickel plated and it all shot the same. BAD. Even sent my gun to knight twice to see if somethijng was wrong. They change dthe barrel once and said everything was fine. I don't think they know what a good turkey pattern is supposed to look like.

I had trouble with BH209 in my TK. It wouldn't fire like it was supposed to about 10% of the time. I went back to 777 just because of that. 80 grs of FFFg 777 with a Ballistic Products 3" Multi Metal shotcup full of copper plated 6 shot. If I could afford Hevi Shot I would use that.

FFg in any powder is the recommended load in a muzzleloading shotgun or so I'm told. I use 75gr. T72Fg for small game in my White Thunder .12 ga. haven't tried working up a turkey load yet....

Back