Doe down?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxman1

Reaction score
Not quite sure
I took a 75 yard broadside shot at a mature doe just before last light.
No deer in the food plot after the smoke cleared.
I will go back in the morning to look for sign,it will be in the 20's tonight.I looked about a half hour in the dark but I'm not very familiar with these woods,there was 3 of them and couldn't see which way they went.

Here comes that sleepless night.

Well good luck. With them temps that deer will be fine. Good luck tracking.

I bet you'll find it in the morning, just start looking from square one all over again. It might have ran away after the shot back towards the same way it came in? I had two does do that very same thing this season.

rc67 said:
I bet you'll find it in the morning, just start looking from square one all over again. It might have ran away after the shot back towards the same way it came in? I had two does do that very same thing this season.

That's what I was thinkin.
I will start there.
I am just sick about it.My friend is questioning my choice of the 45 cal.I assured him it has more than enough energy to take a whitetail,he is skeptical.

It might have ran away after the shot back towards the same way it came in? I had two does do that very same thing this season.

I find that's what happens nine times out of ten. You would think they would run in the direction they were facing at the shot, but they seldom do. I think they instinctively return the way they came because they know that way was clear of threats when they passed through it.

My friend is questioning my choice of the 45 cal.I assured him it has more than enough energy to take a whitetail,he is skeptical.

Hey Sax, we all know some deer can run with a broadside shot no matter what you shoot them with - even centerfire mags. Show your friend the third picture in the post linked below. It marks the blood and lung tissue blow-out from a 200 grain 40 caliber bullet out of a .45 Renegade. How dead can a deer be? If I had shot that doe in the evening rather morning I would have had to find her the next day.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-p ... n-xtp.html

Good luck finding her. If your shot was good she should be less than 100 yds from where you shot her. Your meat will be fine with those temps. There will be a little more odor when you field dress her but that's normal. I have seen Florida deer do some crazy things after being shot so don't assume anything.

i think you'll find it when you have some daylight.

as for friend questioning caliber choice ... i think its a common and incorrect assumption that if a deer doesn't DRT, somehow you're using an inferior weapon. unless you hit bone, in my experience they usually run.

finding

It's cold enough I don't think your meat will go bad. Huh, and my wife wanted to go to Florida over spring break!!!!!

No recovery
I looked for a couple hours,no blood,hair,nothing.
To make matters worse I missed another one @ 50 yards.
Another hang fire.
I shot one time at jays range today @ 50 yards and didn't even hit the paper so something is up.
I put the muzzy away and am carrying the 30-06 now.
I'll figure it out when I get home.
I'm glad I missed and not wounded them.
I'm pretty upset about missing my last 4 shots.Confidance is way down.I'll stay at it though

I bet most of us have had a spell like you're having (I have) where you don't think you could hit the broad side of a barn. You'll figure out whatever is wrong and fix it. Glad to hear it was a clean miss though. At least you don't have to agonize over a wounded animal that wasn't recovered. Now go take out your frustrations on something with the 30-06.

If we left one over night here, the coyotes would probably have at it. I have found that if you hit, they normally leave the area in the direction they were facing, when you shot. If you miss, it is up in the air, but it is natural for them to go back where they know it was safe.

I connected on a doe this morning with the 30-06
I wanted to use my muzzy but dont know whats up with it.I'll figure it out when I get home.
Going after bucks now.

DSCF2240.jpg

doe down

Congrats on the second doe Saxman. Sorry about the first one.

Back