To fire a primer or not to,that is the question.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
flounder said:
I usually don't keep my breech plugs in my guns. I put them in just before I go shooting. My routine is to swab with alchohol to get the oil out and then a dry patch or two. Then I put the breech plug in and go hunting or shooting. So far no misfires because I always make sure the fire channel is clear. Works for me anyway.
Art
PS Get your rear end to the doctor Rich

Great idea,thanks

I'm beginning to think I'm going to live! :D Now if I could just get a good night's sleep.

Boredom in these sleepless hours...

Interesting testament to consistency I think:

mj0oba.jpg

This is the 3 shot group fired November 5th with the 3-shot group from September 29th overlaid (white holes). The load was exactly the same but the scope had been on and off the rifle about a half-dozen times in the interim. Warne QD rings!

They have for a very long time so far as I know, although I think they now just call them W209.

I seem to recall people asking at one point in time what the difference was between the Win 209 and 209A primers, but I could easily be wrong. If so, so are a lot of other folks.

rks1949 said:
Winchester is making a "209A" primer now? :?: Ron

No, Federal makes the 209A primer. Winchester makes the W209 primer, among others.

Primer

I never fire a primer before hunting or range time.
After using my rifle I go home, remove the breech plug and clean barrel with Hoppe's #9. Clean breech plug area real good also. Then I clean the breech plug itself and use a drill bit for the flame channel and double check to make sure it is clean. Then put breech plug in my box.
Next time out I use 2 patches with alcohol and 2 dry patches to make sure barrel is clean and dry. Lube breech plug and insert into barrel, load and fire at target or animal (whichever). My first shot has never been more than 1 1/2 inche off from POA. Works for me.

This is with my Omega.

I now have 2 breech plugs and will switch back and forth,always a clean,dry BP :D

this is a good thread.

I'm a little worried now. :roll: as I only ran a dry patch (came out dry) and loaded my triumph up.

I always pop a couple caps/primers before loading up to hunt, or even at the range for that matter. Just gives me that "warm and fuzzy feeling" that my rifle is going to do exactly what I want it to. :wink:

Back