Pellet to Powder ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rks1949

Reaction score
My wife shoots 2 50gr EQ. pyrodex pellets in her Bone Collector,with a 250gr SW bullet. I was looking at the manual that came with the gun,and in the back it has loads/bullets/velocity tables. According to the "book 2 pellets and a 250 SW bullet run @ 1863fps MV. Then when you look up the load for loose pyrodex RS ,it dosen't show any? ONLY Black Powder? According to it,it would take a charge of 150grs. loose Black Powder to get (1853 fps MV) to come close to the 2 pellet load, still 10fps slower :shock: ?She is wanting to match her 2 pellet load using loose powder,for range use,but we can't seem to find any eq. loads (at least in the book)? Have any of you guy's found a loose powder load that matches the 2 pellet load? Or even comes close? Any help would be appreciated! Ron

Re: Powder

rogo said:
Go to www.blackhorn209.com ad read their info. They may have what you want.
Yeah,that would increase the velocity,at 100grs. loose powder,but at 32.00 for 10oz? (ouch) That figures out about .50 per shot or 65 shots per bottle (and that's just the powder) :lol: Ron

I don't know where you're getting your info, but it's bad info. 100 grains of Pyrodex pellets is roughly equal to 100 grains loose Pyrodex. With 100 grains loose RS, you should be pushing right around 1800 fps with the 250 Shockwave. You can get a bit higher velocity if you use Pyrodex P or especially Triple Seven FFFG.

Borrow a crony. I've never seen data yet, hold to be exact. Crony your pellet load, then work up your loose till you hit your magic number. Myself, I would be more concerned w/the group then the speed. But, it would probably get you in the ballpark if your pellet load is a proven load.

everything i have read about 777 is shooting 2- 50 grain pellets is equivalent to approximately 85 grains of loose Triple 7. Shooting 3 pellets is equivalent to about 130 grains of loose powder.

Not sure about Pyrodex but found this .

http://www.prbullet.com/pel.htm

Re: Powder

rks1949 said:
rogo said:
Go to www.blackhorn209.com ad read their info. They may have what you want.
Yeah,that would increase the velocity,at 100grs. loose powder,but at 32.00 for 10oz? (ouch) That figures out about .50 per shot or 65 shots per bottle (and that's just the powder) :lol: Ron

38.00 here , :twisted: :roll:

Yeah,I need to get the crony out (lazy I guess) :lol: What's published,and what is "real world" results are never the same! Ron

loose/pellets

I have no way to check speed but do know they are different. So if Ron could check it I would love it please Steve

Latest posts

Back