Got a hog hunting invite

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shooter44n45

Reaction score
One of the guys I hunt with once a year invited me to go on a hog hunt in a couple of weeks. I guess he has 400 acres that he is allowed to thin out.

We are a no rifle state for deer but everything else can be hunted with whatever you have. Two years ago I put together a long range coyote gun in .308 but it weighs 14 lbs...lol

Here is a list of my viable options, I think im leaning on my 12 ga. with slugs though, it turns in 1 1/2" groups with Lightfield slugs.

12 ga. scoped
SKS
.308 varmint
AR-15
.44 mag scoped handgun
.50 Accura

I always wanted to do it with my .44 but I have a partialy torn rotator and that gun torxs the hell out of my arm. I thought of my ML too but with this being my first hunt, I would prefer a quick second shot if needed.

The 50 Accura and the 44mag as a backup sounds like a nice combo. I prefer max penetration as far as bullet selection and a stout powder charge depending on the size.

Around here feral hogs can be little wimpy 80-100lbs or vicious 300lb sows with a litter. I always make sure i have a quick backup option and a fast multi shot possibility when you find them bunched up.

Man you are a lucky guy! I really want to go on a hog hunt!

I'd go with the .50 or 12 guage.

I offered a buddy of mine an XD9 for a good price. if he nabs it up, Ill grab a marlin 336 in .35 rem. That should be good medicine for them.

I didn't think we really had many hogs in OH but he said thisplace is loaded with them. I guess we will find out.

that 35 will be perfect for them!! spend a few extra bucks and get that new hornaday leverloution ammo for the lever guns, will not be disapointed in the way that 336 will shoot with it that ammo is amazing in mine. and also in a few friends guns too.

Yeah I've heard there are some that get killed in Ohio but they are few and far between. Goodluck!

I coulnt find a .35 for a decent price so I picked up a NIB 30-30.
I have never seen hogs in Ohio either and I hunt year round, deer during season and varmints in the off season. The guy I hunt with said they did pretty good last year hunting hogs on this place.

I'm going on a coyote hunt next weekend, there are supposed to be a decent number of hogs where we are going.

Would 30-30 did you get? I want to buy a lever action 30-30 8)

kparrott said:
I'm going on a coyote hunt next weekend, there are supposed to be a decent number of hogs where we are going.

Would 30-30 did you get? I want to buy a lever action 30-30 8)

I found a Marlin 336C for $367 at Walmart. I can't get a used one on gunbroker for much less than that after shipping and transfer.

I grabbed several boxes of 170 grain Winchesters but I plan to find some 160 grain Hornady leverEvolution ammo for it. That stuff hits harder than any other 30-30 ammo on the market. At 100 yards, the Winchester or Remington ammo should be just fine. Where I hunt in SE Ohio, shots will most likely be 75 yards or less and I dont see why a 30-30 wouldnt be plenty for them.

Latest posts

Back