Whitetail's a shooter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJJ

Reaction score
Took winter project #1 out for a spin today. All the doubts I had, were wiped away. The bullets were 385 Hornady great plains-385 grainers. I had these on hand, they were about 1.5-2 thousandths undersized. I knurled them, this was my first attempt at knurling. The photo will attest to the technique of knurling a bullet. 65gr of T7-3F. I did experience some ignition problems. Had approx. 6-7 FTF. Not sure of the cause, I was not using a wad. I wonder if this is what caused the problem? We ran out of daylight, and never had a chance to try the 460gr NE bullets. The distance was 75 yds lasered. CCI #11 mag. cap. White Whitetail .504

Picture087.jpg

WOW!! you got a shooter there. Your Fail to Fire caps... did it set them first and then the second strike fire them? Wait until you try some of the 460 grain Bull Shop...

I shoot a Bison which is a G series White. And it also shoots well with 80 grains of Triple Seven 2f and a 460 grain conical.

The caps ignited on the first attempt. I recapped and got full ignition. :huh?: It was a little frustating. Shot a total of 14 bullets, those aren't very good odds. There was a 10-15 mph(R to L)cross wind, so I didn't make any further scope adjustments.

When you clean that breech plug hold it up to the light and make sure you can see through it. Also before you load, pop a couple caps and blow any oil or gunk. I have on occasions had my Whites set a cap and then it fires on the next time, but never had it fire the cap and not the powder.

I don't blame you for not setting the scope with a wind like that.

tjj,
I have had issues with the CCI #11 caps in the past. Before you place them on the nipple check to see if the Green cover is still in place inside the cap. I found this to be an issue with the ones I had. I switched to RWS caps and have never had another issue.

Great shooting! That rifle will really shoot when you find its load!!

Now that I think about it, I switched to the RWS caps as well from an old tin of remingtons I had.

I'll never purchase another tin of CCI caps.

Use the RWS caps,,and make sure they're seated on the nipple.

Go with the heavier,,longer bullets. The 460s from Bullshop would be my choice in .5045...

cayuga said:
When you clean that breech plug hold it up to the light and make sure you can see through it. Also before you load, pop a couple caps and blow any oil or gunk. I have on occasions had my Whites set a cap and then it fires on the next time, but never had it fire the cap and not the powder.

I don't blame you for not setting the scope with a wind like that.

Just another hint, I use a pipe cleaner inside the nipple/plug area its easy with T7 to cleanup. Alcohol also will clean out the storing oils in the barrel before loading.

The CCI MAGNUM caps seem alright, but I will never get the standard CCI caps. They just don't seem to work. Now others have told me they they have no problem with them. That's fine, they use them. Now the Magnums seems to work just fine but RWS still are my favorite cap.

Toytruck that is a good idea about the pipe cleaner. I never thought of that. How many of you reassemble the breech plug after cleaning?

I reassemble all my Whites. Run an alcohol patch followed by a dry one before reloading. Pop an RWS cap, then hunt. 8)

Chief

I reassemble all my Whites. Run an alcohol patch followed by a dry one before reloading. Pop an RWS cap, then hunt.

Yep! with just a couple of differences.... Windex instead of Alcohol and two caps instead of one...

And you do not want to know what i use for ignition or the projectile - it is against DWB norms... but man does it shoot!

Tjj

Have you tried loading the NE's yet.... In my White U-mag they will slide right to the bottom without touching them with a ram rod. NE Dave (to many Dave's here) only sizes his NE's to one size and it is to skinny for my White... Bullshop Dan will size his 460's to a max of .5045 and even that just barely catches the lands...

Back