Primer not firing

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratdz

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I'm new here, just joined a few days ago, and have been searching through the archives.
Man what a ton of information!

I just purchased a Traditions Pursuit II XLT guide gun last week.

After cleaning it, I fired a couple of primers to check the trigger pull.
The first primer I tried to fire was the remington STS.
It took me 4 trigger pulls to get it to fire, and when I removed it, the primer had just about came apart. It looked like the center part was coming backwards from the outer ring.

The next primer I tried was the winchester T7 primer.
It fired just fine and looked normal.

My question is this....

Has anyone else had certain primers that wouldn't fire in their guns?

I noticed the sticky at the top of the board, and it listed primer lengths.
So I'm guessing I'm not the only one.

This gun has the accelerator breech plug.
However I guess it must be an older style as my plug just has the single hole for the primer, and the replacement breech plugs look like they have 3 holes. One for the primer and 2 for ??? Vents?

Anyway, I wanted to thank you all for all the great info so far. I have a ton of catching up to do now.

Allen

I've been using the Winchester 209 primers (regular 209, not T7) for about 8 years or so. Fired hundreds of them in my CVA and never had one hangfire, or misfire. Once in a while I'll have one nearly come apart after firing, like you described the STS doing in your gun. But they've never failed to fire.

i noticed with the sts in my accura, that the primer starts to come out of the pocket with 120gr RS loads. Not a whole lot but still kinda scary to have a primer do that.

Well I went home last night and decided to try some more primers.
I started with the remington sts.
It took 8 hammer drops to fire the primer.
With the winchester T7, it fired first time.

Now both primers are loose fitting in the breech plug, and will drop out on their own if I turn the gun upwards before closing the action. They will only fall out unfired, as once they are fired they seem to swell.

After I lock the action, I can shake the gun and hear the primer moving a little bit in the breech plug. (back and forth movement)

After the first hammer drop on the STS primer, I opened the action and looked at the primer. It has a very small dent in it.
Almost like the breech plug is made a hair too short, allowing the primer to set too far forward for the firing pin to make good contact.

I went ahead and shot several more primers.
Every winchester fired first time. But man are they dirty.
Finally after about 3 winchester primers, I tried another remington primer.
It now went off first shot.
I believe the breech plug had enough "crud" in it that it held the primer a little farther back allowing it to fire.

I ordered another breech plug as a spare anyway.
So we will see if I still have this problem with the new breech plug.
Then I'll contact the manufacturer.

Other than that, I love this gun, and can't wait until I get a chance to shoot it.

Allen

It sounds like what you are running in to is an accumulation of tolerances.
You can check if that is so by backing your breach plug up a half turn and trying your STS Rem primer. Whats happening is that the Winchester primer is longer than the STS in fact it is the longest primer I know of there for it is closer to the firing pin. Do NOT do the test with a loaded gun use an empty gun with primers only. If that is what is wrong then we have at least identified the problem. Lee

Well I tried backing out the breech plug last night.
but the area where the primer sets is recessed into the breech plug, and if I back out the plug at all, the action won't close.

I guess for now, I'll just have to shoot the winchester primers.
Although I'm thinking of trying to find an oring that will fit under the primer and see how that works.

thanks

Allen

Back