Illinois hunters

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OptimaAndy

Reaction score
posted in big game as well. Need input.

Whats it like hunting your state? My wife may have a job oppurtunity in Chicago area. Do you really need your own land to hunt or is there plenty of public land. Any special state rules. Do they allow all kinds of firearms? Whats the seasons?

thanks

don't go!

you will not like hunting in IL.....especially if you are Deer hunter.....they only have the smallish puny racked whitetails and not very many of them at that! NO....don't go!

For what its worth.

My friends in Illinois come to Mo to hunt deer. Their gun and hunting regs are VERY strict. I watched them run H&K out of a gun show for having a full auto on display. It wasnt even for sale.

Last time i checked you cant use any centerfire rifle for any kind of big game hunting.

Illinois sucks. live there with an ex girl friend for 3 months. pretty much no public land, u have to hunt some farmers property and im sure u will get charged for it.

GM54-120 said:
For what its worth.

My friends in Illinois come to Mo to hunt deer. Their gun and hunting regs are VERY strict. I watched them run H&K out of a gun show for having a full auto on display. It wasnt even for sale.

Last time i checked you cant use any centerfire rifle for any kind of big game hunting.

tried finding out for sure but it doesn't look like you can.

Just called the IDNR and from the sounds, the firearms season is VERY strict, good land is hard to find unless you got big dollars and the big thing is they have no bear season.

Guess the wife is going to have to look else where or go by herself.

:D 8)

O/A,
Go read my reply in the other section you posted this in. Has allot of info that you might need. First off IL is first or second in giving up hugh racks and weight size. I didn't get a shot that I wanted but I seen 2 hugh bucks this past season. One was a very large 8 and the other was an 11 pointer. Could see the rackes fine but not the vitals. Don't like to take the shot without having the confidence thats its a killing shot. Settled for 2 does instead. ANY other questions send me a PM.

Andy I lived there for 60 years, getting on private land is difficult if you don't know the people. There are some good public hunting areas but all the ones I know are a 3 hour drive west of Chicago. As for the deer there I found it easier hunting than AR and I did not shoot a deer here for a couple years because they were so small, if you are from around most of the south the size of those corn feed deer will shock you. Lee

i'm 2 hours west of chicago. I work with farmers every day, its my job. And i wold hate to have to find a new place to hunt today. Access is a issue.

I go to Chicago once or twice a year,I went to Cabelas to get some BH 209 and have my friends drive it back,NO GO,I was told the laws are harsh.

Illinois has lots of farm land and lots of deer and you can get permission to hunt if your not afraid to do it the old fashion way and get out on the country roads and start knocking on some farm doors. You can only hunt shot gum or muzzle loader during their firearm seasons (they have 2 shot gun seasons) first one is 3 days long and the 2nd one is 4 days. Their laws pertaining to guns in regards to hunting is no more difficult than most other states. My daughter and her husband lives in Illinois and it is not a problem for even non hunters to get a tag there. They do turn out some huge deer but it has tapered off a little over the past few years.

Back