Finally made it to the range!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
I FINALLY made it to the range this past Sunday... It was great! I brought two muzzleloaders to shoot. One was another T/C New Englander .50 and the other was a T/C Renegade .54. Both guns are used, but new to me. I was anxious to shoot them and here we go!

I started off at 35yds. I figured since both were used they would at the very LEAST be CLOSE at that range. First up was the New Englander .50:

img_0357%20_2_.jpg

I have another used New Englander that didn't impress me and I decided to get another. This one came with a LNIB 12ga shotgun barrel as well which I will shoot at a later date. This rifle seems to be in really good shape. I had a good bit of WANO ffg blackpowder so that's what I used. I loaded up a patched .490 Hornady roundball and 90gr ffg Wano using a CCI #11. Shots were taken at 35yds:

IMG_0364.JPG

Shots one and two were high and the next four practically went thru the same hole. That's good accuracy in my book! Next I backed off to 60yds with this rifle... Since it seemed to be shooting a little low I cranked up the rear sight....a little too much it seems:

IMG_0366.JPG

I shot five shots at 60yds and to be honest I have no idea which shot was in whatever order! :? At any rate I think this rifle has good potential at this range and more if necessary!

Next up was the Renegade .54:

img_0361%20_2_.jpg

Again this is a good looking rifle in great shape. Neither of these rifles had a QLA so they are both pretty old! I again shot at 35yds using the same 90gr ffg Wano but this time using a patched .530 ball of course! This rifle also demonstrated good accuracy at 35yds:

IMG_0365.JPG

I think I can do a LOT better with this rifle though! Pretty good for the first range trip I thought.

A note about sights.. Both of these rifle featured the same iron sights and let me tell you they are GREAT sights! Some of the best I've ever used! When looking for iron sights, THIS is what you want:

img_0360%20_3_.jpg

See how squared off all the corners are? This is the way iron sights should be and this gives an EXCELLENT sight picture!

Overall a GREAT day at the range and I still have some more rifles to shoot! 8)

I like the square sights also. Always have trouble with the V sights. Some nice shooting by the way.

This is the way iron sights should be and this gives an EXCELLENT sight picture!

I totally agree Big6. Good shooting there. I'm getting to the point where I shoot sidelocks about twice as much as in-lines (but I cheat and have 4x scopes on several of the sidelocks and peeps on the others.

big6x6

You gotta love that Renegade... they are an awesome looking and shooting gun - think I have 5 or 7 of them can not remember for sure now...

For a first time out.... that is some amazing accuracy. It will only get better. Both of them rifles I own and just flat out love to shoot. That Renegade is one of the best rifles T/C ever made. Nothing fancy, bread and butter rifle, does kick a little in the cheek, but just a great rifle. I bet it only gets better with them rifles. Nice shooting.

Latest posts

Back