Dirty laundry and blinds

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jester

Reaction score
so some one on another forum brought this up but not much was said. i wanted to get every ones thoughts on it. some one asked about putting a dirty work **** or what every to help get the deer get use to the smell.

the resign i ask is that the place i hunt is only 15ac and there are a few homes on one side. im forced to hunt it with the wind to my back.

that makes sense. Ive seriously thought about wrapping an orange vest around the tree my ladder stand is at so the deer get used to it LOL.

After so many years of trying to be scent-free, this is a new idea for me. BUT is does make sense for your situation, particularly with the wind at your back. I think its a good idea. All great theory - Let us know some real-life feedback.

Now FG that would be only a half-effort .. why not get a store-manican and dress it up like a hunter and leave that in your stand? :lol:

Actually, FG, a friend of mine did something similar. He was frequently getting busted by a buck that would follow the deertrail, then stop and look up at the treestand. Tired of this routine, and wanting that deer, my friend left that treestand where it was but hung a coat on a coathanger on the stand. Then he setup another stand 90degrees away from the first stand and sat in it. Got the buck, first night!

they sell a manican setup like that! I laughed my ass off when i saw it posted on facebook. I think its mainly to keep hunters out of the area you want to hunt LOL.

If the deer arent use to it human traffic (tractors, farm equip, noise, people etc) i dont think a dirty shirt
is going to help you, they will avoid that area. Best bet is to be 15-20 ft up a tree so any scent will blow
by above them, there are also sent free ground blinds you could use.

Play the wind and keep still while they are looking in your direction and you will be find. The last 5 deer I've shot have been 15 yards and closer with 3 of them being 8 yards or closer.

they are more then use to the noise. there are 4 homes with in 200 yards on the one side. i can work in the shop and they will come in but if im sitting in the blind 10 yards out of the shop i don't see a sole. 10 mins after heading in i will have trail pics of them at the feeder

tree stands are out for the most part they logged the area about 8 years just befor subdividing it and selling it off in estate lots. so the trees are short and small.

chaded they arent coming in at all when im in the blind. im about to clear cut the space from the shop to the feeder then just hunt out of the shop.

the other thing i thought was it would be nice to stop by and hunt on my way home from work if i can get them past the smell

Can you figure out what direction they are coming from and then set your blind closer to that direction and hopefully cut them off going to the feeder? What time are you heading out of your spot? Are you getting day time pics ? If they truly are avoiding you I don't think putting a shirt will help, they will just continue to avoid that area and probably turn into strictly nocturnal deer.

they are coming in from 3 sides depending what group it is. i get in to the blind around 3-4 and stay tell after dark most nights

on the trail cam they come in from 5-7 like clock work unless im in the blind sent is the only thing i can come up with

im going to try it and see. i dont see them turning nocturnal as the smell will be there at night. now they my only come in at night to start out but i bet once they are past it time wont matter

You could try it and see. I've never really had that kind of problem but I always try to stay as scent free as one can but more importantly playing the wind. If you have the wind in your favor it will make it Very hard for them to smell you. Good luck!

jester said:
they are coming in from 3 sides depending what group it is. i get in to the blind around 3-4 and stay tell after dark most nights

on the trail cam they come in from 5-7 like clock work unless im in the blind sent is the only thing i can come up with

im going to try it and see. i dont see them turning nocturnal as the smell will be there at night. now they my only come in at night to start out but i bet once they are past it time wont matter
Hmmm sounds like they have you patterned pretty good, do you have more than one blind set up? Is the wind
blowing toward your blind?

chaded said:
You could try it and see. I've never really had that kind of problem but I always try to stay as scent free as one can but more importantly playing the wind. If you have the wind in your favor it will make it Very hard for them to smell you. Good luck!
You had a very wise mentor. :lol:

Omega45 said:
chaded said:
You had a very wise mentor. :lol:

Hahahaha!!! He's your mentor too!! :lol:

norbush said:
Now FG that would be only a half-effort .. why not get a store-manican and dress it up like a hunter and leave that in your stand? :lol:
I have heard of guys going the manican thing before!

BigDaddy said:
norbush said:
I have heard of guys going the manican thing before!
I remember seeing one show called Worlds dumbest and there was some hobo guy walking around with his manican girl friend, feeling her up :lol:

Jester - i'm thinking your idea of shooting them from your shop is your best answer. Move the bait where you want the deer to stand, cut a port in your shop-wall, and wait in a comfortable chair. No need to stay scent-free, and no need even to get dressed up in your camo. :lol:

Actually, i have used the dirty shirt scent to my advantage. Was hunting a fenceline that had 3 deer-trail-crossings, but i could only cover 2 of the trails at one time. So i left my T-shirt on one trail, which 'forced' them down 1 of the 2 trails i was watching.

Latest posts

Back