Measuring TripleSe7en loads.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grouse

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
Supporting member
Reaction score
I'm weighing 777 loads by weight as i write this. I found a pretty easy way in the house to do this. First you need the Lee powder Measure kit. The 4.3cc dipper and the 2.2cc dipper get me really close to 75.5grns by weight. That is what i will be using this year for Deer hunting. Which is pretty close to 100grns by volume. A few extra grns gets me Dead on 75.5grns by weight.

abf19e80.jpg

That's a good way of doing it! Here's what I do with Triple Se7en loads... I set up my see-thru volumetric powder measure for say between 115 and 120gr by VOLUME but what I WANT is an actual 120gr by volume which is, in Athens Alabama at least, 86.5gr by WEIGHT. So after dumping the volumetrically weighed charge onto the scale it should read slightly LESS than that 86.5gr. I'll then use my powder trickler and add until I get the 86.5gr. Once I get going I can go pretty fast!

So what's the best way to start doing this? Measure a load by volume, weigh it, then throw every other load to this weight?

I think the best way is much as you said, maybe average the weight of three or so loads by your volumetric measure. Then weigh individual charges to match that average. Should you run out of pre-weighed charges, you can still come very close with the volumetric measure.

At least that is A way to weigh. :)

I have the exact set up you have in the picture. I had a cheaper digital scale that I used before, but recently bought the more accurate scale.

Here is the problem, when I use trickler to finish of the loads to 85 grains by weight, the scale almost seems to stick on a weight until it finally kicks over. I then check the weight with the old scale and I am sometimes as much as 5 grains over.

Am I doing something wrong with the new scale?

Thanks

777 Loads

777 FFG.

68.2 scale weight= 90 grains
77.7 = 100 grains
83.3 = 110 grains

Re: 777 Loads

Auton said:
77.7 = 100 grains ( The reason they call in 777)

Actually that's not true. Triple Seven was number 777 in their experiements.

"Seven hundred and seventy seven was the lucky number for Hodgdon powder company researchers as they conducted tests on experiental chemical lots in their search for a new muzzlelaoder propellant."
Ian McMurchy Spring 2002 Blackpowder hunting magazine.

So you are saying if I weigh out a 90 and 3/10 charge that it will give me a 150 grain charge by volume? I am thinking of swithing to loose and I would rather go by weight than volume.

I have found, for me, that a 777 2f 100gn by volume load equals 80gn weighed. I measured several loads by volume and found that when weighed the weighed number was approximately 20% less weighed, ie: 100 volume=80 weighed, 110 vol=88wei, 120vol=96wei, 90vol=72wei, etc., etc., so I have stuck to that formula.

I believe that Patrick noticed the same thing himself...

Yep, with FFg Triple7, using a ratio of 1.25:1 for volumetric:weighed gets you in the right ballpark.

flatland hunter said:
I have found, for me, that a 777 2f 100gn by volume load equals 80gn weighed. I measured several loads by volume and found that when weighed the weighed number was approximately 20% less weighed, ie: 100 volume=80 weighed, 110 vol=88wei, 120vol=96wei, 90vol=72wei, etc., etc., so I have stuck to that formula.

I believe that Patrick noticed the same thing himself...

Yep. That's been exactly my findings. I think though that the volume measure and how you do it has a lot to do with the weight difference though.

The all seeing one said:
Yep, with FFg Triple7, using a ratio of 1.25:1 for volumetric:weighed gets you in the right ballpark.

I use 20%/25% for Triple Seven. Subtract 20% from a volume to find a weight and add 25% to a weight to find a volume. 100 Vol. - 20% (20) = 80 Wt. and 80 Wt. + 25% (of 80 which is 20) = 100 gr Vol.

Well I used the 1.25:1 ratio and got 120gr by weight to equal 150 gr of volume. I am going to try this with the triple7 2fg. Someone correct me if I am wrong on this. This is wierd though because I weighed 3 50gr pellets and came up with 90.3gr. I thought this was right since the T7 pellet is 50gr by volume but only weighs 30.1gr

Nutt189 said:
Well I used the 1.25:1 ratio and got 120gr by weight to equal 150 gr of volume. I am going to try this with the triple7 2fg. Someone correct me if I am wrong on this. This is wierd though because I weighed 3 50gr pellets and came up with 90.3gr. I thought this was right since the T7 pellet is 50gr by volume but only weighs 30.1gr

The Triple Seven pellets are powered down to approximate the Pyrodex Pellets.

Which would be better for weighing powder charges, a digital scale ($70, tabletop battery operated) or a beam scale, same accuracy factor and using an RCBS trickler?

Does anyone have experience with a PACT Digital Scale? I have been reading up on them and they seem nice and not too expensive, but one person claims they have to be calibrated all the time to check them and that they are slow about giving out their readings.

Any on hands users out there?

I've got one of the cheaper PACT models. It can take forever to stabilize a reading but it only varies about .1 grains while it's stabilizing. A vibration dampening pad would probably speed things up. They ARE sensitive. One grain isn't much at all and .1 grains is probably about the weight of a mosquito fart. :)

Works well for me and does come with an AC adaptor - many others do not and that was a consideration in my choice. The MyWeigh Durascale would have won the race had it had an AC adaptor.

Back