New ratcheting EZ Tool

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It certainly looks like a very nifty little gadget. As I type the Steel-Bed is curing in my 10MLIIBSS. If I end up with any wandering zero problems associated with bolt removal I will need to give the Pocampo tool a serious look.

I dont know R-man...

I hope to have one by next week!

EZ Tool

I am familiar with Pocampos EZ Tool,as I do use one.Is there a new Ratcheting EZ Tool that I am not aware of?,and is it another Pocampo tool? Thanks ------------- Rich

Anyone know if original EZ-tool can be adapted to this ?? I soon will need another ML BOX just for my Breech Plug wrenches!!! :lol:

I also bot one from someone a while back (year ago) from someone over at Dougs Board...cant recall his name anymore....joe somebody. :think:
Willing to sell that one REAL CHEAP! :lol:

Loggy said:
Anyone know if original EZ-tool can be adapted to this ?? I soon will need another ML BOX just for my Breech Plug wrenches!!! :lol:

I also bot one from someone a while back (year ago) from someone over at Dougs Board...cant recall his name anymore....joe somebody. :think:

Loggy, Im the Joe you bought the other one from on Doug's board. If you saw the pictures that I had on Doug's board You will see that you can adapt the socket I made to the ratcheting type by simply puting a 1/4" hex to 1/4" square drive adapter from a cordless screwdriver set into the socket and just adding ratcheting wrench.
Jolop

FWF said:
It certainly looks like a very nifty little gadget. As I type the Steel-Bed is curing in my 10MLIIBSS. If I end up with any wandering zero problems associated with bolt removal I will need to give the Pocampo tool a serious look.

What exactly is Steel-Bed? (I would guess it's a brand of bedding compound?) Where can you get it? Have you used it before? Is it particularly harder than other bedding compounds?

Pocampo...
Does this mean we only need one EZ-Tool for ALL Savage rifles?

I'm not Pocampo, but my understanding is that this is one tool for ALL savage 10ML II Muzzleloaders. I was talking to him the other day and that's the way he explained it to me.

Edit: It was brought to my attention that some folks are seeing the old banner. Guys the name of the banner is the same as the old one so you'll need to clear your cache to see it.

Mountain Man said:
What exactly is Steel-Bed? (I would guess it's a brand of bedding compound?) Where can you get it? Have you used it before? Is it particularly harder than other bedding compounds?

It's a Brownell's product. I'd say it's not as brittle as AcraGlas but it's harder than AcraGlas Gel. When mixxed it's as thick as AcraGlas Gel so it's easy to handle. It's also quite heavy as it's full of powdered stainless steel. I prefer to use it wherever it won't be seen. I use Gel whenever I want to be able to stain the compound. Because it's so runny I rarely use standard Acraglas, although that characteristic might be useful in some situations.

The clearance between the action walls and the scope would need be sufficient to allow the ratcheting wrench to work effectively. I don't know about such clearance on a Savage, but I have a similar ratcheting wrench and the length of travel is too much restricted on my rifles unless the scope is removed. My guess is that folks with higher mounted scopes will like this tool - others may not be thrilled.

Just a SWAG. :)

The 5/16? EZ Tool (RV) Geared Box Wrench, (combination breaker/ratchet), included is a very high quality tool made in the USA by Armstrong Tools. It has a 12 pt. standard box end on one end and a 72 tooth ratchet on the other end. This ratchet will work with as little as 5 degrees movement. Ratchet has a working capacity of 207?/lbs.[/q]

That's a preety fine tooth gear. It has to be better than the original e-z tool and that goofy Savage supplied handle or thin screw driver.

Yep, it may well be easier to work than my Craftsman model. Not sure about the gearing on it.

big6x6,
what Patrick said is correct. The NEW Savage EZ Tool (RV) Ratcheting Version works in all 10ml-IIs regardless of breech plug orientation. It also works for 1 or 2pc bases. It is not necessary to remove the rear action screw and bolt to remove the breech plug .

The Geared Box Wrench (combination breaker/ratchet) included is a very high quality tool made in USA by Armstrong Tools.

Note: Use the 5/16"-12pt. standard box end to break breech plug loose or final tighten and use the 5/16", 72 tooth ratcheting box end to quickly remove or install breechplug.

The 5/16"-12pt. 72 tooth ratchet will work in as little as 5 degrees movement and has a working rating of 207"/lbs. It is not intended to be used as a breaker and could be damaged if over torqued. That is what the standard box end (breaker) is designed for. If used properly as directed above the Savage EZ Tool (RV) works great.

By clicking on the Savage EZ Tool (RV) Banner a copy of the NEW instruction/info sheet that comes with the tool as well as pictures of the NEW Savage EZ Tool (RV) are shown.

Pocampo

jolop said:
Loggy said:

Loggy, Im the Joe you bought the other one from on Doug's board. If you saw the pictures that I had on Doug's board You will see that you can adapt the socket I made to the ratcheting type by simply puting a 1/4" hex to 1/4" square drive adapter from a cordless screwdriver set into the socket and just adding ratcheting wrench.
Jolop

Thanks Joe. What size ratcheting wrench would work? I only have large size socket wrenches(likely too big) plus do not have an electric screwdriver. Can the 1/4" hex to 1/4" square adapter be bought without gettin the electric screwdriver?

Thanks much.

I finaly read the link. It says to use the regular box end to break the BP lose. If you are using the regular box end for the ONLY thing that you need a handle for what good does the ratchet end do???? I have always just used my fingers after the BP is broken lose, and to snug it up when reinstalling. A handle of any kind would only make it more dificult the way I do it.

Rifleman said:
Anybody bought one of these yet? Do they work good?

I HAVE ONE! :D

For a SHORT summary...I can only say that this is EXACTLY what I've always thought an EZ-Tool SHOULD be! This is absolutely one well thought out item. It works PERFECTLY even with fixed scopes! Thanks Pocampo for a GREAT tool!

How are you guys cleaning the back of barrel thread area without removing the bolt? Are you just leaving old grease and muck and screwing the breech plug back in? :?

Back