NEW OWNER 10ML II

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoker

Reaction score
I am in need of the general combination of sabot, powder, and bullet. I have XMP5744 on hand but the old loadings I used for my 77/50 do not apply. I was using a .429 Sierra 240JHC and a green Hornady sabot. I see Savage recommends niether. I feel much better going to the folks that are shooting and hunting with the 10ML. Appreciate any advice you can give. Thank you, smoker

Smoker- youre off to a good start- the 5744 powder works well from 42 to 45 grain- just adjust the amount to your gun- bullet weight is best at 250 or 300 grain...Only use the 45 cal high pressure sabots-(Black) for the .452 bullets or the Orange for the .458 bullets- the hornady .45 with supplied sabot will get you started- you'll love it. Rick

Grouse said:
42grns of 5744...250grn or 300grn XTP....short black mmp sabot...Winchester primer....Go have fun. :wink:
You will like this combo.,it has withstood the test of time. 8 deer fell to the 300grn. XTP, in my HB this year.Awesome performance! You will love it!

Thanks to all. I noticed that getonit mentioned a .458 bullet. I have a full box of Sierra FN HP. Will these work with the orange sabots you speak of? The 'MMP' is the company Savage recommends, Magnum Muzzleloading? I found thier web site and can order direct from them. smoker

Smker- yes those would work fine with the orange sabots- you can order them from Del R. and he'll get them out to you quick too - My last order in October the are 10.25 a bag delivered. One of the .458's I use are the Remington 300 .458 45/70- I have good luck with 68gr. H4198...but the 5744 is time proven as Tar & Grouse both attest to :D Rick

getonit, thats good news as I have so damn many different bullets and powder that I was hoping I could use what I had. "you can order them from Del R.", OK but I don't know who he is???? I tried a search but it didn't turn up anything. smoker

smoker said:
getonit, thats good news as I have so damn many different bullets and powder that I was hoping I could use what I had. "you can order them from Del R.", OK but I don't know who he is???? I tried a search but it didn't turn up anything. smoker

Del Ramsay of MMP sabots. He's got a banner that links to his site but it's http://mmpsabots.com/

smoker said:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/mmp_sabots.htm

That should give you a glimpse of Mr. Ramsey. :wink:

Thanks Randy and all. Just hit me that you ( Randy ), are one in the same as the man that makes the sabots...DUH! Forgot to sak wherre I could find Weaver type scope bases for the 10 ML. Are they the same as another Savage nodel? Smoker

Just hit me that you ( Randy ), are one in the same as the man that makes the sabots...DUH!

You might think that at times but no..Randy doesn't make sabots, Del Ramsey at MMP does....

big6x6 said:
Just hit me that you ( Randy ), are one in the same as the man that makes the sabots...DUH!

You might think that at times but no..Randy doesn't make sabots, Del Ramsey at MMP does....

:lol: :lol:

smoker said:
Thanks Randy and all. Just hit me that you ( Randy ), are one in the same as the man that makes the sabots...DUH!

I'm afraid Del Ramsey has just been the victim of the insult of his life! :wall:

Sorry, Del. :cry:

Hey Del, all my fault, don't beat up on Randy too much. Well I found an extra unopened box of Sierra 300 gr. FNHP that I can trade in. What do ya'all suggest??? Smoker

Don't have it yet but it's on order. Bought some orange ones and some black ones and a base and rings, thought I might trade my black scope for a silver one but.........I'll kee you posted. smoker

big6x6 said:

No, the only thing RW usually makes is..........................well your new here but keep reading and you will figure it out very soon.

:poke:

Randy, I think them guy's are pickin on ya. Well, the gun is in and I've got to pick it up today. Does anyone know how to make fireworks out of pyrodex pellets, clean shot, and some 'FF' something ( can't remember )?
All I can say is good ridence(sp)! smoker

Back