Blackhorn and Cold Weather

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fisher1

Reaction score
Posted this over on Doug's but will repeat it here. Today was the LAST day of muzzleloading season here in Maine.I unloaded my Omega (on a leaf in the snow @ 30yds.)as no deer to kill. Its been loaded for two weeks and kept in my vehicle.Temps have been from 18 to mid 40's or so and the past several days there has been a wind chill factor for sure. I use CCI209M primers and 110 gr. The shot went off like a centerfire and drilled the leaf too. I love this stuff. I think I'm going to move to a place where there are some whitetails.Havn't killed a deer in two years in my hunting area.I will move south or start bow hunting again as the expanded archery area is not far from me & there are plenty of back yard deer there.

I hope more people in cold nasty weather report on their experiences with BlackHorn 209. I shot off two pounds of the stuff and loved it. BUT I never hunted with it. I was always wondering how it was going to behave when temps got low, wind chills got worse, and snow and such set in. Its good to hear it did you well.

When you stored the rifle at night, what steps did you follow in your storage? I want to start testing a lot of rifles and powders for just that kind of thing.

cayuga-

I left my disc extreme loaded with bh209 for almost 3 weeks in temps ranging from the 50's to the high single digits,rain,snow,sunshine,bout everything MO weather could throw at it.Stored at night in a unheated garage and had electrician tape over the barrel.Touched it off after the 3 weeks(same load,no deer)and had ZERO problems.Fired 2 more rounds at 100yds and held a 1 3/8" group.Only minor complaint,and it wasnt powder related.Also left accesory bag in garage,and cold MMP sabots on a cold day are a little tough to get down the barrel,but with some effort went down and seated fine.I see no problems with weather affecting bh209 if minor precautions are taken,the same you would take with any other powders.

cayuga said:
I hope more people in cold nasty weather report on their experiences with BlackHorn 209. I shot off two pounds of the stuff and loved it. BUT I never hunted with it. I was always wondering how it was going to behave when temps got low, wind chills got worse, and snow and such set in. Its good to hear it did you well.

When you stored the rifle at night, what steps did you follow in your storage? I want to start testing a lot of rifles and powders for just that kind of thing.
No precautions really,just left it in my vehicle(locked).Did not cover the muzzle,action closed.I carry my extra charges on my waist in a belt pouch which is under my coat so they never get full exposure. This belt dose not stay outside. When I dumped the charges all the powder was as dry as it came out of the can. By the way,the maple leaf appeared to be about 2" dia. The shot sounded and felt just as it did in early Oct.

cayuga

BH209 is the only powder i use for hunting. Actually, BH209 is the only powder i use. When i get a shot at a critter, i always reload immediately, because of an experience i had years ago, when i walked up to a 'dead' deer unarmed, and had to 'steer wrestle' it, and cut it's throat.

Every time i have ever shot anything with a muzzle loader, it has been dead when i arrived at the kill site. So, when i come home, my rifle is loaded, and i leave it that way in the cabin of my pick-up. I have left my rifle over night many many times there in the truck. Some nights it has been 40*, and other nights it has been -19*, and other nights something in between. I don't take any special steps to 'store' my rifle when i get home; it rides home with me, and when i go into the house, it stays where it was when we finished hunting, rode home, and drove into the driveway

My Omega has never failed to fire the next day.

I have hunted in rain, snow, wind, and beautiful blue sky days. My Omega has never failed to fire. I use electricians tape twice over the muzzle when i hunt.

Winchester shot gun primers is what i have been using, because that is the only primer i could find locally when i started, and i wasn't interested in deviating later on because my rifle was sighted in, and i was ready to hunt.

This year i tried out an Accura, and i have had a hang fire, and a no fire with this rifle. I think it has to do with the shape of the breech plug. The Omega breech plug has a deep concavity in the face; the Accura breech plug has a very shallow concavity. I plan on using a hotter primer in the Accura when i find some.

In conclusion, i have to say that BH209 is 100% reliable in the Omega, in all kinda weather, whether it be hot, cold, warm, dry, wet, or snowy. I do not clean the rifle for weeks during the hunting season. When i notice there is more blow back than normal, i drill out the carbon in the breech plug, and hunt some more. I don't use teflon tape or any anti-seize grease.

I personally believe that if one uses BH209, and does not clean the rifle after arriving home, one should never never never use traditional muzzle loader lubricants and solvents. I believe those that have reported rusting issues with this powder, did not use lubes and solvents intended for center fire rifles, which they should have, per the manufacturers recommendations.

Normally i don't shoot my rifles when it is hot, so i can't really report on BH209 used during the heat of summer.

I can add that when I was out today it was about 20 and a stiff N ,N/E breeze. I have never taped the muzzle of any rifle/shotgun even in the old 2F days and never had any problems. When I initially load before opening day the bore and bp are as dry as I can possibly get it. I do use anti-seize on the bp. I have a sling on my rifle but never use it(unless I'm dragging somthing) so the muzzle is always down or horiz.+/-. I've wondered about this from time,I have all these slings and don't use them while hunting.....?I don't have to drive far to my hunting areas so my vehicle dose not get real warm plus my rack is behind the seat.

My savage was loaded on Nov 14th. and carried to the woods for opening day on the 15th. Fired and reloaded at 9:30am on the 15th. and brought home on the 17th. It was put in a locked storage cabinet in my garage and stayed there until Dec 4th. Loaded into the van and taken to the Upper Peninsula for muzzleloader season. Hunted with it on Dec. 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th. with no shots fired. Returned home and back into the cabinet until Dec. 12th when it was taken back out to the farm for a morning hunt where it was fired taking a doe at a 110 yards. Shot impact was right where I expected it to be and the deer traveled a total of 20 yards after the shot. This load had seen temp ranges from 50 degrees down to 15 degrees while in the gun and fired perfectly.

Savage 10ML II SS Laminate
110grs volume BH209
300gr Rem .458
Orange MMP sabot
CCIm primer.

DC

hey fisher, don't feel bad about not getting anything. Your not in this boat alone. Our deer numbers have dropped dramatically here in maine. If IF&W don't do something soon about a winter feed program and coyotes we will be going outta state to hunt whitetails. As for the expanded zones, I wouldn't bother. To many guys who are not good woodman and drive everything to move only at night. I gave up on expanded 2 years ago.

Blackhorn and cold

I left my Encore loaded the entire 10 day Wis muzzleloader season I kept it in the cab of my truck also. I just fired and cleaned it yesterday. Shot went off like a fresh load. I used one saturated patch of Montana Cowboy and a dry patch clean gun.

I have used BH209 in my Omega for the last two deer seasons in PA and IA. I check the sights with a couple fouling shots and leave the rifle loaded and in the truck (without a primer of course) for days at a time in some very cold weather. I have had no ignition issues or problems and no corrosion or clean up problems. I love BH209 and it is all I shoot in my Omegas.

I've had the same experience as stated above. I loaded 2 rifles with BH on Nov-14th. They were stored in the garage and transported back and forth from hunting locations. Discharged both rifles yesterday. Ignition was normal and accuracy was great.

I left my Encore loaded for almost two weeks, I kept it out in the cold the entire time.
It right where I was aiming when a deer finally crossed my path.

spitfire100 said:
Does anyone have any comments on Triple 7 powder in cold temps?

I used 777 for several seasons, including some pretty cold spells in IA and PA and never had ignition problems of any kind. Because 777 would attract moisture and corrosion I always hunted with it in a clean gun--no fouling shots. I would load the night before the season opened, hunt for several days sometimes, and never had a problem when I needed it to go bang. I always kept it outside or in the truck where it stayed cold and did not get condensation on it from coming into a warm house etc.

used 777 fff loose powder in mich. this year and after filling my tag, i loaded my encore again and left it in the truck over night at about 19 deg. the next day i drove around until the the truck was warm and parked the truck and unzipped the case. the gun frosted up immediatly, let it thaw out and repeated this another night. after thawing out again i put a primer on and shot it, went off like it was supposed to. not like many years ago with the old reagade and the percussion caps, try that once with the renagade and all you get is a pop of the cap.

Were you using a 45 caliber? FFG is for larger than 45 cal and FFFG is for smaller. Am I correct?

50 cal encore- seems to like the fff better, 5 shot groupinig a little over 1 inch at 100 yds.

Latest posts

Back