50 cal sight in ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkmo

Reaction score
I have a CVA Buck Horn. It has a 24" in barrel with a 1-28 twist. I will be shooting a 3 pellet load (150 grains) with a 223 grain Powerbelt.

How should I sight this in?

If I sight 2 inches high at 25 yds where will I be hitting at 50, 100 etc?

Where should I be dead on to take full advantage of the trajectory?

Thanks

You really should check out the website he lists and pay special attention to the fact that the vast majority of people you ask about this load will tell you that it is WAY overpowered. That bullet flying that fast will almost surely come apart if you hit anything but skin muscle and lung. So if you enter through a rib, the bullet may blow up on you and not penetrate big enough fragments to kill a deer reliably.

Do a search on this topic and you will find a lot of info on powerbelts blowing up when using that much powder. 100 gr of powder would actually produce BETTER PENETRATION than 150 gr. because the bullet will stay together instead of fragmenting.

If you want to use 150 gr of powder, you need to switch to a better build bullet (like some sabot) that are built to take the veloicty and stay together. Powerbelts are made of SOFT lead (the copper covering doesn't make them tougher) and soft lead either has to be shot with low velocity or you have to up the size (350 gr or bigger)

I'll drop it down to 100 grains. Would a 295 grain Powerbelt bullet with 100 grains be a better load the the 223 load ?

Haven't shot muzzle loaders too much. Thanks for the info

Yes! That should be a much better load in my opinion and will cost you a lot less, and has a lower "flinch" potential ( at least for me. I am recoil shy)

You might also check out the Hornady FPB. They currently have a 350 grain, but will be coming out early next year with a 300 gr. They are made from a lead alloy that holds together better than a pure lead. And they are cheaper.

you also need to keepo the powder low as to much will melt the base to the bullet and cause the bullet to fly poorly.

With both shotgun slugs and ML I always sight in two inches high at 50 yards. Beyond that I find myself sighting in to the wind conditions of that day.

I sighted in my NEF ML at 50 yards, 1.5 inches high with 295gr HP power belt,2 T7 pellets and am near dead on at 100 yards.I know LOTS of people dislike the PB,but I have had good luck with them.I hope to try the 300gr hornady FPB come spring time when it comes out.Your best bet is to try a few combo's and see what works best for you..

Steve

Most of my shooting is done between 25-75 yrds. I want to be maybe 1.5" high at 50. I did take a deer & a coyote this Fall out to near the 100yrd range, maybe just under. When I sight in I do most shooting in this 50-75yrd range. I just don't want to be to high for that possible long shot & not be where I want to be for 80% of the opportunities.

I used to shoot a CVA Buck horn, the best load I found for that rifle was 95 gr. 2F Goex Black powder with 223 gr. Power Belt Areo Tip Bullet. With that load benched off a Cauldwell Lead Sled @ 85 yards would dang near put them in the same hole. My I suggest starting off at 75 grains and working up 5 grain at a time. The key to a good group is having a solid foundation : bags of sand, shot, lead sled, scope adjustment (were you can find that sweet spot every time on the back of stock) what I mean is closing your eyes get in to firing position and then open your eyes and having "FULL" view in your scope. I see more folks creeping up or backing off on the stock to find that sweet spot. Basicly it equals to slipping into position on that stock and gun right everytime. This will make our ability on that gun go upwards. I sold that CVA to a buddy for his son. All my Whites like diiferent loads, all will shoot less than 1 1/4" group @ 85 yards all shoot different loads & weight in slugs. All have that magic sweet spot on that stock when I shoulder it it's there everytime on the 1st time I shoulder that gun.

Sometimes less powder is best. Good Luck

Latest posts

Back