BH209 & Red Harvester sabot question,..

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefo1

Reaction score
I picked up a couple packs of the Red crush rib sabots for smokeless powder, more or less just out of curiousity. I've had no real issues using the black crush rib 45/50's with BH209, but after recovering some of the black ones after a shooting session I did notice some cracking around the base & wondered if I was getting some pressure loss. Just wondering if anybody gave the red smokeless sabots a try with their BH209 loads?

I have tried the red smokeless sabots in my Omega with BH209 and Hornady .452 XTP's and SST's. The red sabots were not as accurate as the black crush ribs, but that's just in my rifle.

I would not worry too much about how the recovered sabots look. What matters is how the target looks, IMO.

jefo1,

The Harvester red crush rib was made for the Savage and other larger diameter bored rifles. They measure .005" larger diameter (.508") than the black CR (.503") with .452" bullets. I don't know if they are made from a better material, but I don't think so. IMO, they were designed to fit tighter in the bore, for better ignition with smokeless. I have used them, but if your bore isn't .502"+, I doubt they will be more accurate. These should also work better in the .504" White than the standard black CR.

Click on this link, wait for the pics to load. You will be able to see the size differences.

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... php?t=9798

Back