What is a good grease for the Endeavor Breech Plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldelkhunter

Reaction score
To say I am extremely pleased with my Endeavor would be an understatement. Today at the range using 3 different types of sabots MMP 3 petal,Harvester SB and RIbbed Red, 110 grains of BH 209 and it would put a 250 grain shockwave in the same spot no matter what I did. Cleaning it though I ran out of the TC super lube..is there anything that is similiar but comes in a larger container? Thanks

This the quick release Breech plug that comes standard on Endeavors

I use Super Lube Synthetic Grease. www.super-lube.com I get it in 3oz squeeze tube. Seems to be about the same as the TC lube. 3oz will last a long time.

I don't use anything on the breechplug in my endeavor. Never had a problem. I do use a little gun oil on the o-ring to keep it from drying out though.

Like Sabotloader I use Teflon tape the white, I have found that a light spray of Birchwood Casey synthetic oil so that it changes the color of the tape slightly works best. If you are using Blackhorn a spray of oil or synthetic oil will do but if you use 777 be careful it does freeze Breach plugs.

i never used grease on mine and never had a problem, even after over 40 shots at the range

Any lube types will work O.K., from tape to specialized lube grease to a little gun oil. More important is to just snug down the breech plug, don't crank it tight as possible. The other thing is to remove & clean it relatively soon after shooting. For range shooting mine is out the same day. During a hunt with B209 I may go a day or even 3. During storage time I also leave it out.

Any lube types will work O.K., from tape to specialized lube grease to a little gun oil. More important is to just snug down the breech plug, don't crank it tight as possible. The other thing is to remove & clean it relatively soon after shooting. For range shooting mine is out the same day. During a hunt with B209 I

may go a day or even 3. During storage time I also leave it out.

There is only one level of snug it is the quick release Breech Plug. I don't understand how teflon tape would work on it either

i've never understood teflon tape on the speed breech either,i just use a little gun oil on it,no sticking, no blowback ,no problems at all....karl

I don't use anything on mine. I've never had even a hint of residue on the threads of my BP. I don't even put any lube on the o-ring and I've never had a single issue. Why grease it if you don't need to? You'll just have to clean it out later.

don't use anything on mine. I've never had even a hint of residue on the threads of my BP. I don't even put any lube on the o-ring and I've never had a single issue. Why grease it if you don't need to? You'll just have to clean it out later.

Just reading the manual and they say if you don't use this grease blah blah blah you could damage the threads . I put grease on it and then shot it . After shooting it the breech plug came out rather easily by hand and the snout was a little sooted up but that was it.

I used to swear by CVA Breech Plug and Nipple Grease. Then they changed the formula and I did not like the change. While using up my supply, someone on the DWB forum told about using Slick 50 One Grease. So I figured, if it don't work, I have uses for it around the house. So I got a tube. That stuff works really good for me.

I put a little dab on nipple thread of traditional rifles and they just come out sweet at the end of a long day of shooting. I wrap all my breech plugs with white Teflon tape and then a thin coating of the Slick 50. They come out just fine.

To test my process, I used just the tape and ended up out in the shop putting the barrel in a vice and having to use stronger measures to get the breech plug out of a rifle. After that, I went back to the tape and grease. Again, no problems.

I have used just the Slick 50 and no tape and it works just fine. The plugs come out, the fouling if any is soft. And it takes little to clean the plugs. So I just stick with what works for me...

Latest posts

Back