BH 209 and volume vs. weighing...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flatlander.54

Reaction score
Looks like I'm one of the few who hasnt tried the BH 209 powder yet, although I am chomping at the bit to get some. Im currently using the loose T7 and have always gotten really good results with it.
I have noticed on a few posts here and there of using dippers for BH 209 and also a few about weighing the charges out. Has anyone tried both methods and noticed a difference in power/accuracy of the loads?
I have always measured the T7 by volume when shooting. The only time I ever weighed any was when I switched from pellets to powder. The accuracy of the loose T7 was so much better I figured the pellets had to have a major variation somewhere. The suprising thing about my little experiment was that when compared by measured weight, the pellets only varied by a couple tenths whereas the loose varied by as much as a couple whole grains in weight. I used a Lee Safety Powder Scale. My little experiment proved in my mind that when shooting blackpowder or blackpowder subs that actual measured weight does not mean better accuracy or consistancy over a volumetric measurement.
So has anyone tried this with BH209 as well and what were your results?
Thanks guys.

I'll let ya know tonight if the rain ever stops......got the scope mounted on a new Genesis last night & got 2 dozen charge tubes with various weights/volume.

My opinon, 777 should be accurate either way as long as it is done the same each time. With BH209, because it is like noodles, I think using a scale would be more accurate. You might break and/or cut some of the grains otherwise.

Dave

I weigh all of my BH209 loads and use .70 as mu multiplier. Example. 100 gr. by volume times .70 is = to 70 gr. by weight.

Volume = Weight.
100 = 70
110 = 77
120 = 84

I have not tried weighing charges. My Endeavor is so accurate with measured 209 that I don't see how it can get any better with weighed. Under moa almost all the time. Don't need any better.

Actually, your experiment proved your gun does not like the amount of powder in the pellets. Remember 100 gr of pellets does not equal 100 gr of loose in performance.

Personally, I weigh all of my charges with T7, Pyrodex, or BH209. I have seen the number of flyers greatly reduced and overall consistency has increased.

I loaned a buddy my .45 cal Disc Elite for deer season last year. I worked up the load 120 gr BH209 and a 200 gr SW. He was using a volume powder measure and I was weighing charges. I was able to consistently get better groups at 200 yards. His averaged 3.75" where mine averaged 2.5". This was all done with the same shooter. So, yes, I have seen a difference.

Unless you're shooting your muzzleloader for competition at 250 yards, I wouldn't worry about measuring loads by weight.

Way back when it first came out I tried weighing charges and throwing them with a Uview and one of the old open top brass measures.
The end result was that the weighted ,the ones thrown with at reloading powder measure and the ones thrown with the Uview were pretty much the same but the ones thrown with the open top showed a slightly bigger average group size, about 1/4 inch. Lee

Remember...volumetric measures of non extruded powder such as 777 and Pyrodex is only as accurate as the uniformity of the powder granules. You will find there is a difference between the top of the bottle and the bottom of the bottle, because of settling.

Extruded powders such as BH209 should be weighed for accuracy as the pellets are so large I would question the accuracy when striking off the top of the vial.

JMO :wink:

I measure all my BH209 charges by volume. I do think there is probably some variability going by volume, but I don't think I can shoot well enough to notice it. Going by volume is very quick, and easy. So unless I enter a shooting match, I'll keep doing it by volume.

Spitpatch
That is quite true of all the subs except BH209, I don't know if you have had any or not but it is an extruded powder made so that each kernel is identical. When I used my Redding powder measure and then weighted the loads I was amazed at how accurate they were. Lee

Would someone take 10 loads volume and weight them and see how far off they are . it would be nice to see . I would also love to see someone shoot and the groups of them weighed VS volume . Don't know if ANY muzzy is that consistent that you could even tell though. :?: :?:

Thanks for the opinions guys, like I said, I'm really looking foward to trying some in my Omega and in the wifes CVA Buckhorn Mag. Both rifles shoot well with the T7 and 250 Shockwaves. My Omega prints 1" @ 100 yards with 100 gr. T7 and the wifes CVA consistently prints 2-2 1/2" @ 100 yards with 100 gr. T7 also.
I dont have any complaints other than the crud ring issue with T7 in my gun, but boy it sure sounds like BH 209 would be alot easier to clean up in her CVA, which is a good shooter but its a pain in the rear to clean.
As far as the measuring vs. weighing, I'm sure I'll try both to make up my own mind about it, I was just curious as to your experiences. Thanks again.

Lee 9 said:
Spitpatch
That is quite true of all the subs except BH209, I don't know if you have had any or not but it is an extruded powder made so that each kernel is identical. When I used my Redding powder measure and then weighted the loads I was amazed at how accurate they were. Lee

Lee 9 ...read my post again...closer :wink:

Back