Christmas wish list for Savage Muzzleloaders.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grouse

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
Supporting member
Reaction score
I did specify Muzzleloaders because they have two now. :)

1- To heavy of a Muzzleloader. They made the plastic stocks better which would mean heavier. I new of no problems with the old at all. The two i have look and feel great.

2- Barrel length longer, for what more weight? Keep the barrel at the standard length. The Deer wont know the difference between the little velocity gain you achieve.

3- If your gonna change the breech plug, add a quick release bolt. Loosening a stock screw to take out bolt is not something i want to do during hunting season for sure. Now the EZ tools savage sold are useless with the new plug. :? Until someone makes a tool, you will be loosening the stock screw to take out breech plug. A third pillar would solve all issues at basically very little cost.

4- Ditch the rings and bases and lower the cost of the gun. $700.00 for that Muzzleloader is crazy. Of course Cabelas is marking that up big time.

5- For $700.00 a power rod should be included or something similar. I got the same ***** with NULA.

I'm glad to see savage added the recoil pad. But with Black Powder loads i dont think you need it. The gun is so heavy recoil is mute with standard Black Powder loads. The recoil pad is needed with the higher velocity smokeless loads for sure.

Savage has really made no improvements for the smokeless gun in atleast 5 years. The Henry Ball savage was excellant. But Henry and randy did that. I actually regret selling mine.

I think Savage should step up and improve the smokeless gun for the guys that like to shoot smokeless. The guys that like to use Black Powder can use the smokeless gun as well. I would not buy a Savage for Black Powder. To many other better guns. It wasnt built for black powder. It was built around smokeless powder. Non corrosive, clean burning, accurate powder. Actually 5744 :) That's why the gun is over built. That's why they keep the stupid vent-liner. It's safe plain and simple.

Savage does have the best customer service hands down. You just cant beet Joe Degrande and others at savage. They do have the strongest built, safest Ml on the market. Stupid proof some will say. And we all do stupid things once and awhile.

If we post things that we think would make the gun better for us they might do it. They did it for Cabelas. :) Post things you like, post things you dont like. I will send this link to Joe Degrande at Savage tonight.

BTW- I currently have two savages. I believe i have owned 7 total including a Henry Ball #58 which i sold. It's not about what i like or dont like. It's what you like or dont like or want to see changed. :wink:

Grouse

Tom, I have zero experiance with a Savage ML, but the biggest factor I have seen when I do look at a Savage is the weight + when you add scope and mounting hdwe... Here in Idaho - I have to pack that weight myself and there is not much flat land in Northern Idaho - anyway flat land that elk really like

To much weight - key factor

Tom

I can't help seeing a different angle on ML sales and our economy the way it is now. I know Savage as a company isn't being as hard hit in sales, cause their cartridge guns are there mainstay. 700 clams for their latest ML :roll:

I'm thinking to spend some stimulus in a company that has a great product, and may need the sales to keep jobs. The Ultimate Slam may just be the saving grace Knight has been looking for. I am certain that the Green Mountain barrels are just as over-built as the Savage line=Lawyer Proof.

Well, that's my plug for Knight :wink:

i liked the Q-R Bolt on the Winchester X-150 i had. Lift up, pull back,push down,pull back and its out.

sabotloader said:
Grouse

Tom, I have zero experiance with a Savage ML, but the biggest factor I have seen when I do look at a Savage is the weight + when you add scope and mounting hdwe... Here in Idaho - I have to pack that weight myself and there is not much flat land in Northern Idaho - anyway flat land that elk really like

To much weight - key factor

Your exactly right. Big6x6 mentioned longer barrel better stock. That equals more weight to me. It was a stand gun before. Forget walking along distance thru the mountains. :(

T/C Triumph with steel rings and bases with Omega scope= 7.25lbs

Knight Disc Elite with steel rings and bases with Omega scope = 8.75lbs

Knight Vision with steel rings and bases with Omega scope = 8.75lbs

NULA with talley one piece rings and bases with a Leupold ultimate slam scope= 7lbs :shock:

Savage 10ML Smokeless with steel rings and bases with Leupold scope = 8.75lbs

All guns were weighed with Knight power rods. Yes the one's they no longer make. Alot better then the ones T/C currently sells.

Cabelas is claiming 8.75lbs with a scope rings and bases. I dont know how with the longer barrel and better stock, and recoil pad. :? I guess i need to make a trip to Cabelas. :) I forgot to mention the Knights i have are solid synthetic/plastic stocks. My Savage is Hollow, which is lighter. I actually like my savage stock.

Grouse

Additional ML Weights...

Omega Stainless barrel with TH Composite Stock, Bushnell Elite 3200 3x9 ->8# 1oz

Rem 700ML (26") Stainless Barrel Composite Stock, Bushnell Elite 3200 3x9x40 ->8# 1.5oz

Knight Disc Ext Stainless Fluted Barrel Composit TH stock, Leupold USlam 3x9x40 -> 8# 4oz

White Model 97 U-Mag Stainless Composit Stock, Leatherwood Hi-Lux TBML Scope 3x9x40 -> 9# 1oz

FYI

Here's an 8lb 12oz modified Savage. It started out at 11lb 4oz. I lightened this baby up after few long spot and stalk hunts in the sand hills of western Nebraska.
Zen

Savage012.jpg

Gun weight....

Not as big of an issue as one may think....in fact in OFFHAND shooting(really from the bench too), quite the asset!

I've been elk hunting three times. First hunt I used a Dakoka 76 .270 Win/Zeiss 3-12X56 ZMZ....WEIGHT? 9.75 lbs....hiked all OVER Craig, CO! I DID use my backpack as a rest and connected at about 200yds. Second hunt....DIY drop camp north of Wolcott, CO.....and I thought I walked a lot on the FIRST hunt! Rifle...Weatherby MK V stainless/synthetic .300 Weatherby/Swarovski 3-12X56 PH...WEIGHT 10 lbs flat! One elk at ~35yds and a mule deer at unknown range all shot offhand. That Mark V throws up like a DREAM too! Last elk/mule deer hunt south of Livingston, MT..pack in horseback hunt.. I walked about as much as the first hunt which was a LOT! Gun?.... Remington 700 Sendero SF/Leupold 4.5-14X50...WEIGHT? 10.25lbs! Shot best mule deer ever OFFHAND range unknown but certainly more than 100yds... BTW..longest offhand whitetail shot...148yds while hanging on a ladder stand with a 10.25lb laminate 10ML-II

I've never really considered weight when I buy a gun/muzzleloader...I want the best/most accurate/most reliable/etc available period. If it weighs two pounds more that something else, so be it. I will agree that weight does play somewhat of a role with a backpack/treestand on ones back but otherwise two pounds means nothing to me.

....and I can PROMISE as range increases one can shoot a heavier rifle consistantly MORE ACCURATELY, from a rest OR offhand, all things being equal.

.....AND if weight is SUCH an issue we could all loose weight and exercise more RIGHT? :lol: That would certainly make more differance than 1-2 pounds of a gun!

Cabelas is claiming 8.75lbs with a scope rings and bases. I dont know how with the longer barrel and better stock, and recoil pad.

They just didn't add the weight of the scope. Listed weight is the same w/o scope and with scope package. Weight of 10ML BP WITH scope/Power Rod/Warne mounts- 8.75lbs...

big6x6 said:
.....AND if weight is SUCH an issue we could all loose weight and exercise more RIGHT? :lol: That would certainly make more differance than 1-2 pounds of a gun!

Isnt that the truth. But not always so easy. I keep grabbing my Wichester 1300 to go Pheasant hunting over my 1187. I shoot the 1187 hands down better, just to tired to lift it up when the time comes. :)

big6x6

They just didn't add the weight of the scope. Listed weight is the same w/o scope and with scope package. Weight of 10ML BP WITH scope/Power Rod/Warne mounts- 8.75lbs...

You speak the truth about the advantages of weight, especially at longer ranges and quick shooting... but more importantly to the total weight you posted puts that gun back into the picture for me... I can work with that - that is less than my White which I really do not consider to HEAVY...

Back