Anyone Use Compressed Air to Unload Their Savage?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davexx1

Reaction score
Sometimes firing the gun to unload it is not possible. Just curious, does anyone use or can you unload a Savage 10ML-II using compressed air rather than firing the gun or removing the breechplug?

The trouble I have had with removing the breechplug and dumping the powder out is the powder sticks to the anti-sieze lube in the breechplug threads inside the barrel and really makes a mess and chore of cleaning it all out.

Dave

Some guys use teflon tape, that would eliminate the grease problem.

I have never used teflon tape on the breech plug threads. Is it a good alternative to the anti-sieze lube? It sounds like it would be easier to use and less messy.

Are there any issues or concerns of using the teflon tape on the breech plug or vent liner threads with smokeless powder?

Thanks, Dave

I use anti-seize grease myself but a small number use teflon tape and swear by it with their smokeless MLs.

Take this FWIW, and this applies only when shooting smokeless powder, but I have never put any form of anti-seize or tape on my 10ML-II breach plug and have had zero problems so far.

Before I fired even one shot out of it, I sent my 10ML-II to a gun smith that specialized in working on 10ML-IIs. When I got my 10ML-II back I asked him what was the best anti-seize. He told me which he faivored, but then told me I do not have to use any anti-seize product if a fallowed his advice of:

#1-Only hand snug/tighten my breach plug
#2-Every ten shots loosen my breach plug and then snug it back again hand tight only.
#3-My own rule of the instant I have fired my last shot of the day and before the report of that shot if done echoing, I remove my breach plug.

I have been doing this for over 500 shots and counting with zero problems. While hunting I always loosen and the re-tighten it before I case it and head home for the day.

Like I said works perfect for me, others might disagree, but neither of us is wrong.

Interesting concept. Would that work in all guns? Hard to say without experimentation.

Am wondering if the degree of fit in the machining and threading of each barrel and BP does not have a lot to do with the carbon build up and likelihood of siezure. (Just thinking out loud).

If it is needed at all, seems like there should be a better alternative to using the messy grease type anti sieze and/or teflon tape. Maybe a light mist coat of some space age spray would work to lubricate as well as inhibit the buildup of the carbon and possibility of siezure.

While it does work to prevent siezure, carbon buildup, vent liner issues, etc., I would like to get away from the frequent disassembly and cleaning of the gun and parts.

Dave

Back