Prairie dog loads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03mossy

Reaction score
:roll: Alright before you all laugh at me. I am going on a prairie dog hunt this summer and yes I will be taking my Rem. 700 varmint 22-250 and about 500 rds of ammo, plus the 10/22 for the close shots. But I think it would be fun as hell to "smoke" a few. Do you guys have any suggestions on light, flat, cheap shooting loads for a .50 Omega? I have a pack or 2 of .240 dead centers that might work. Or I could always just use rounds balls. Any ideas?

How bout just some Hornady XTP pistol bullets 240g in some MMP sabots. Might not be much left of the Prarie Dog, but they are cheap and you could use them for deer in the fall.

I'd use a .50/.40 sabot with a 200 grain Berry's hollowpoint - cheap and shoots pretty flat. Another option would be a 200 grain Shockwave - a little more expensive, but flatter shooting.

Yes, one of my favorite is the 200gr. XTP 40 caliber with 100 gr of of Blackhorn and the blue MMP sabot. Very accurate and very flat.

Dog loads

I would cast a bunch 0f 240gr 44 cal use them in green sabot. If you don't cast buy them in bulk lot cheaper than jacketed bullets.

I have no idea, but a buddy of mine uses a 180gr XTP with 150gr 777 for deer. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

He's told me that they do more damage on a shoulder shot than with a 130gr 270 Core-Lokt. YA THINK???!!!!!

I'm guessing he's pushing 2200+ fps with that setup using a bullet designed for handgun velocities.

those 200 grain XTP in .40 caliber are sure accurate in my rifles. I use that blue sabot and they just plain shoot. No prairie dog could take a hit from one of them things, you'd cut him in two.

I ran out of time last summer to work up a prairie dog load but i am going to this winter, So i am bringing this post back to life. I looked into all your suggestions but I can't seem to find a 50/40 sabot. the blue mmp that a few of you recomended says its for .45 caliber? Am I missing something? can someone post a link for sabots that would work for the 200 grain .40 XTP?

Thanks

03mossy

I shoot our meadow ground squirrels all the time with a ML - My favorite medicine for them is a Speer .40/180 grain Gold Dot/Deep Curl. When you hit I hope you really were planning on finding much...

Excellent Targets...

GroundSquirrel.jpg

Just call Connie on the phone @ MMP - she is great to talk to and will get you out the Blue 4050 sabot... That is the one that I use. Mix it with a 110 grains of T7 or 120/30 of BH and you have a sweet shooter.

http://www.mmpsabots.com/

03mossy said:
I ran out of time last summer to work up a prairie dog load but i am going to this winter, So i am bringing this post back to life. I looked into all your suggestions but I can't seem to find a 50/40 sabot. the blue mmp that a few of you recomended says its for .45 caliber? Am I missing something? can someone post a link for sabots that would work for the 200 grain .40 XTP?

Thanks

Harvester also makes a 50/40 in the Crush Rib line. Personally, every gun I shoot this sabot out of is more accurate than the MMP. Your milage may vary.

http://www.harvestermuzzleloading.c...category_id=7&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=18

Hope this helps

I have tried both and in my Omega with a loose bore, the MMP wins everytime so your milage will definately vary.

doggin

40 cal/200 grain xtp/cr sabot/110 grains Black horn. That load will rip.

My prairie dog load in my 50 cal TC Endeavor is the 200 gr SW. 100 gr of Blackhorn 209. For deer, the same bullet with 113 gr of 209. Both loads are VERY accurate.

Latest posts

Back