Harvester Crush Rib Sabots ???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpy7776

Reaction score
:?: What the difference between the short and long Harvester Crush Rib Sabots? I keep hearing to use the short ones. Are they truly more accurate in general? I am shooting 300 grain Hornady SST's out of my Knight with ok accuracy (3" @ 100 yds). Already tried going to other powders and charge weights. Just looking to tighten it up some. Thanks, Tom

I just shot some this evening. I can't get any accuracy with them,they do load easy though. :? I might be pushing them too hard,as I shoot 3 pellet loads. Or my Pro Hunter just dosen't care for them? Ron

CR sabots...

"What the difference between the short and long Harvester Crush Rib Sabots?"

I haven't answered that yet either, but maybe some bullets need a longer sabot petal to support the shank. See my recent posts on these sabots -- you'll see the stock # -- but I can't tell you if they're either one, but I don't think they are "short". They do seem long with a Hornady 250-grain XTP seated in them, but that bullet works really well with those.

And while the longer & heavier 300-grain Harvester Scorpion PT Gold seems 'just right' in those same sabots, they shoot just as well as the XTPs -- in my Omega, that is..

"I keep hearing to use the short ones. Are they truly more accurate in general?"
I think this is where you'll get a "that depends" answer...

You may have to try both in your gun to see if you see any significant differences on target. So far, I've been really pleased with these crushed rib sabots.

Tight groups!

Old No7

I dont think they make a short or long crush rib. I think you might be referring to harvester short or long sabot, one is for over 300g and over and one is for 300g and under. Seem the harvester shorts works well in TC guns...... my triumph loves them with whatever u stuff in them...

Here the link to harvester website
http://www.harvesterbullets.com/

revpilot said:
I dont think they make a short or long crush rib. I think you might be referring to harvester short or long sabot, one is for over 300g and over and one is for 300g and under. Seem the harvester shorts works well in TC guns...... my triumph loves them with whatever u stuff in them...

Here the link to harvester website
http://www.harvesterbullets.com/

Bingo! One size of CR. The short black is for <300g and the long is for >300g.

Grumpy-
I was getting groups like that with the sst's and crush ribs until I read toby bridge's article about the 325 grain hornady ftx and crush ribs. The ftx measures .458 compared to the sst at .452, I wonder if the tighter fit makes it more accurate? My encore shoots 2 inch groups with the 325 grainers over 120 grains blackhorn. Here is the link to the article-

http://namlhunt.homestead.com/ProductReport.html

Hopefully I will have a field test on that load next weekend!

CR

I use em' in my Pro Hunter and think they improved accuracy over the sabots that are enclosed w/ the bullets like SW/xtp etc.. I shoot 110 grain BH209. Are you pushung them too hard?

My Endeavor doesn't care for the crush ribs, standard Harvester black sabots have worked best for me. I believe, like most things in muzzleloading, keep trying different things until you find something YOUR gun likes. Good luck!

I really don't think I'm pushing them too hard. I'm using 100 grains of loose Triple 7, 3f, CCI musket cap, 300 grain SST with the sabot it came with. It ALWAYS goes off....like right now. So I know I have enough flame. I tried all the way down to 75 grains and it still gives the same accuracy (3"@100 yds) The sabot bases look ok, not burnt. The petals sometimes 1 or 2 come off in warm weather (65+) degrees. Not now though with temps in the 50's. Tried different scopes, etc...

I really like the performance of this bullet. Maybe I should try a different sabot.

Thanks for your help so far, Tom

Latest posts

Back