Are most muzzleloaders "OVER scoped" ? ? ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Serious question all...

Not trying to start a war or flame-fest or anything...

The good news is I have given up on the crazy idea (per a recent post) about getting a $60 scope/mount/rings to test a scope on my Omega X7, as I've pretty much decided on the scope I will get.

After reviewing many -- of probably too many -- options, I have selected the 1-4X Leupold VX1 with a heavy duplex (yes, a shotgun scope), mounted on low rings. I like the low 1X or 2X power for still hunting the thick stuff in river and creek bottoms, the heavy duplex will be helpful in early/late conditions or for quick shots, and the low mounting rings and lighter/smaller-sized scope will help improve the handling -- for me, at least.

While looking at pictures on this forum and many others, and checking on what some companies sell for "BP scopes", I was left with the impression that too many scopes have 'too many Xs' for power and are mounted 'way up high' due to too-large objectives...

So, what's your thoughts... Are most muzzleloaders "over scoped" ? ? ?

All varying opinions welcomed! Let's just keep it civil... :wink:

Old No7

IMO many muzzleloaders are indeed over-scoped. So are some high power rifles. Hunters have a habit ot putting the scope on 9 power and leaving it there. Then they wonder why they cannot get on that deer that suddenly showed up 30 yards away: Seen it happen many times.

With the exception of some 8X and 10X Unertl scopes used by the USMC; all the snipers of WWII used scopes of 4X or less.

I think many hunters mount their scope too high. Even my 3-9X40s sit in low Warne rings. As far as being overscoped I would say yes for hunting and no for range shooting.

I have three Savage MLs. Two have high power variables, the third has a "lower" power 3x9. I like the higher powers BUT I never shoot at running deer, I hunt on my own ground in a fixed, permanent stand with just a few family hunting similarly and the scope is at first on the lower powers and generally adjusted upwards when I go to shoot.
I understand that would not work for most, it works in my specific applications. Most would not want or need my set-ups but it is good for me.

I think many look around to see what scope is available for M-L duty. I use a 2-7 & usually have it on 3x for hunting. I have used up to a 3-9 because that's what I had in a quality scope that was available. I'm not much for taking running shots at deer. When it come to testing the accuracy of most any rifle higher magnification allows more precise aiming.

Thanks all...

Thanks all...

I just added pix of my low-power scope in low-mounts to the "What do you have on your..." post above. That's the piece that prompted my question...

Tight groups, and good huntin' -- no matter what scope you use! :D

Old No7

savblack.jpg

MLstocks002.jpg

Three of my Savage MLs. The black with a 3x9 Bushnell Elite 4200, the others with more serious scopes.

I agree whole heartily. High magnification scopes install a false sense of ability. Just cause you own one doesn't make you a player in the long distance game. A high X scope aids in species identification, or with teeny tiny groups, but are a hindrance in everyday field applications. My ML wears a Redfield fixed 6x, my .270 Win a B&L Elite 3000 3-7x. My .223 wears a 25x Millet, that is only because a gopher is a pretty tiny target at 200 (which is not unreasonable for a .223). Clarity and light transmission should be the priority.

Hakx

It's to late for this year but next I plan to put one of my 1.75-6 vari-x-III Leupolds on my M-L. I've been using my M-L more than centerfire the last few years & have 2 of the 1.75-6 that just sit on guns in the safe. I plan to take the one & still have one ready to go.

Low power scope, low scope mount for me! I prefer a name brand also. :lol:

Absolutely most are! But I will take all the magnification I can get up to about 15x!!!

Nothing wrong with aim small miss small... I feel it is more a matter of preference than need.

Most of my front stuffers have 2.5-10 variables. Swarovski A-line - NULA, Nikon Monarch - Savage 10ML, Leupold VX-III - Savage 10ML HB... and I have listed them in my order of prefrence.

Latest posts

Back