todays was the first day. My cherry is no longer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OptimaAndy

Reaction score
got sighted in at 25 and then moved out to 100. It seems to shoot well with 80 grains of T7 but after 20 rounds....OUCH
With the 80gr of T7 and a TC 250 shockwave it seemed to group well. got a 3 shot group within a 1.5" circle. Not bad for the first time ever shooting a ML. I did notice that the crud ring with the T7 is a real pain to load after the 2nd shot. Had to break it down and clean it after every 4th shot.
I had to beat the dang thing to death with the bore brush. Also dragged out the 45 cal brush and stroked back and forth over the crud ring area as with the 50 you had to go completely thru and then back through.
this is alot of work to shot the 50 but the white smoke makes it worth it.
While i was there another club member showed up and was shooting a flint lock 40 that was custom made. what a nice gun. He was shooting real powder. Don't know why people complain about the smell. I kinda enjoyed it.
any advise on how to beat the crud ring a little easier?

thanks
andy

You need to swab the barrel after every shot. I use one wet patch followed by a dry patch. The only time I don't swab between shots is if I am trying to get a quick follow up shot when hunting.

should i remove the breech plug when swabbing as to not clog the hole in the plug?

no, just use a damp patch then a dry patch both sides. karl

Andy, This is getting WAY to complicated...man!

Between every shot of 777 do the following....it only takes one patch:

Lick one side of the patch, really slober it up good.

Run it down the barrel with short pumping strokes, paying the greatest attention to the breech area where the crud is. You will feel the crud give way after you get the hang of what it should feel like.

Turn the same patch over and run it straight down the barrel and back up with no pumping. Throw the patch away and reload. THAT'S IT, and with one patch!

Do this after ever shot.

777 is great powder and easy to use without problems if you simply spit patch.
The guys that want to shoot without spit patching every time, seem to have the most trouble.

you want me to lick the patch :puke: :puke:

how about a little spray with windex or a dab of hoppes.

Andy, This is getting WAY to complicated...man!

Between every shot of 777 do the following....it only takes one patch:

Lick one side of the patch, really slober it up good.

Run it down the barrel with short pumping strokes, paying the greatest attention to the breech area where the crud is. You will feel the crud give way after you get the hang of what it should feel like.

Turn the same patch over and run it straight down the barrel and back up with no pumping. Throw the patch away and reload. THAT'S IT, and with one patch!

Do this after every shot.

That's EXACTLY the way I have ALWAYS done it Spit. You always have spit with you too!

Spit works fine.. so does Windex. The trick is have the right size patch. I never soak it, but get it damp. Then work that in short strokes down the barrel to the breech plug. When you reach the crud ring in the bottom of the barrel.. SLOW DOWN !!! And work in even short strokes. When you get it all works down to the bore, bring it back up, flip that patch over and do it all over again. Then I like to work a dry patch or two down the bore.

No need to remove the breech plug until you're ready to clean the rifle for the day.

The "best way" to beat the crud ring is to use a #11 cap ignition rifle, there is no triple 7 crud there to mount to anything. If your using a 209 primer rifle then use Blackhorn 209 powder, again no crud ring.

Other than that, swab beteen shots like was said above.

I always did the spit patch with my Encore, but the problem i had was after about 20-25 shots, the brecch plug was nearly welded into the receiver. After a horrible ordeal of trying to get the breech plug out, and resorting to very hot water poured down the barrel, all my other shooting sessions, I would break loose the plug after every 5 shots. Sort of a pain, but it kept me from wanting to bend the barrel over something with a stuck plug. I was using the Winchester 777 primers so I didn't have much of the dreaded crud ring, but they didn't stop a welded plug. Praise God for BH209!!!

OptimaAndy

Spit is what I use in the field and and yep! I do use regular windex when at the range... I pre-prepare windex patches before going.

WinPatch.jpg

Make sure they are just barely damp....

They work great...

Back